Honda CRV Air Conditioner

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Can anybody here point me to a discussion board , or forum for Automotive Air Conditioner advice/help. On a 2003 Honda CRV , 47K miles , if it makes a difference.

If suggested forum is specific to Honda even better??

As always willing to take advice/help from fellow TBN'ers here as well if you have it.

thanks in advance

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner #2  
I just hate to work on auto air. Not enough room to get around without bending & twisting..Getting way too old for that stuff.:D Try google search for honda auto air & see what you come up with

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner
Thanks hazmat - good info.

Found another one - HondaSUV.com - Honda Ridgeline, Fit, Acura RDX, Pilot, CR-V, HRV, Element - Information on ownership opinions, accessories reviews and forums has some good info.

I have an 03 CRV w/ 46K miles. Last week compressor detonated , drastic implode failure. Researching on hondasuv.com came across a thread that had about 350 posts about CRV A/C failures.

Seems the 02-03-early04 CRV's had a faulty compressor/clutch. They are imploding just outside of warranty. Evidently by the Hundreds if not Thousands. Honda has redesigned the compressor replacement completely , even a new Part Number. Some have had to replace just the compressor/clutch , some have catastrophic failures where the compressor internally implodes and distributes fine metal particles throughout the lines,dryer, condenser, etc. requiring a COMPLETE system replacement. Price ranges from $1,200 to $3,200 quotes from the various dealers and depending on extent of damage. Mine (so they say) was just the compressor/clutch. They quoted me $1,700 , OUCH.

Reports from the web site / thread above ran the gamut of IN or OUT of warranty. Also ran the gamut of the local dealer doing the right thing and fixing under "Goodwill Warranty" , to those having to contact Honda Corporate and complaining to get relief, to those that went to Honda Corp. and got no relief / help / warranty etc. All kinds of solutions here , Dealer fixed all , 1/2 dealer 1/2 Honda payout/fix , 1/3 Owner 1/3 Dealer 1/3 Honda payout/fix , and any other combination you can come up with.

I assume the outcome with the dealer has a lot to do if you are a longtime Honda customer , Vehicle has been serviced and you can prove it , You are armed with the info that Honda obviously had a problem with a faulty designed system , the replacement compressor has been completely redesigned and carries a new part number.

I have purchased 3 new vehicles from this dealer ( Darrell Waltrip Honda) , which is where I took it to get diagnosed. I had a very strong suspicion that the above failure is what took place with my CRV. Dealers diagnosis was just that the $77 charge for diagnosis of problem to be applied to $1,700 charge to repair. This to replace the compressor , clutch , evacuate and recharge sys. They say no evidence of any further contamination in the system. I told Sevice Advisor / Writer of all the info I had about faulty compressor / new redisgned parts to fix / thousands of failures / etc. , and that i think the Dealer and Honda America should goodwill warranty this repair. I told him that I would contact Honda America/Corporate and lodge a complaint and get a trouble ticket number to escalate to whatever level necessary to get this resolve. He said give me a minute to talk to my service manager and we will see what we can do. He came back and said I pay $200 labor and they will supply all parts and rest of labor to repair. I thought that was vary fair and told him to proceed with repairs. Finished 4 hours later and it's blowing COLD Air with an additional 12 month warranty of AC. I'm happy

I could probably held out and gone to Honda America/Corporate and complained and after 3 or 4 months of frustrating letter writing, meetings with District or Regional Sevice techs I may have gotten them to pay for it all. Not having to deal with all of that "PRICELESS" A good solution in my opinion.

Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem..

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner #5  
That's great.

Of the 3 Honda's I've owned - 2 have had AC issues - 1 clutch on a civic & a leaking hose on the Pilot. Counts for 2 of the 3 issues I've ever had.

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner #6  
Dullpain, that is good news, after 2 Accords, and one Odyssey, no AC problems at all, replaced the 5spd in the '83, leaky half shaft seal that I should have caught, caused the 5th gear bearing to give up, other than timing belts waaaay past suggested intervals and oil and filter, they all have been trouble free.

/ Honda CRV Air Conditioner