Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt!

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #1  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
Heard some new sounds today while in low range 4wd descending a hill... decided to look more closely, and discovered at least three of the four engine mounts are broken! Engine has shifted forward, and the sound I heard was a couple of front-plate shield bolts contacting the flywheel. Pics below, notice how exhaust pipe is contacting frame, and fan is just about totally outside the fan shroud.

Oh, well.. she's been great for about 3 years now and has 762 hours.... guess it was time for something to give, I work her pretty hard. Will try to post developments.

DSC06614.jpgDSC06615.jpgDSC06616.jpgDSC06617.jpgDSC06618.jpg

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #2  
Hellooo over the hill.
Is there some kind of recall of sort to help w/repairs?

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #3  
Very sorry, mate! As you say, they don't last forever. Do keep us posted!

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt!
Nah, Thomas, I doubt it. She's now getting into middle age, no warranty I'm sure.

Couldn't sleep, worrying about that and other things, so went back out to play with it. Yep, now confirmed, all four motor mounts ("insulators" in the parts book) have failed.

Have no idea what caused the failure, though I'm sure those rubber mounts get stressed every time I go down slopes (which is often) in low range 4wd. That's when the engine would want to shift forward. Still have to check out the coupling/driveshaft that goes rearward and into the hydraulic pump; not sure how that's doing, but it's gotta be stressed, too. Glad it didn't pull loose!

Have begun search for parts and so far have found one source, @ $21.40 each, but have yet to get availability. https://www.yourequipmentparts.com/...-fuel-and-exhaust-system/engine-mounting.html

Interestingly, Jack's showed no listing when I searched their site, but I'll check again. In looking at it tonight it appears I can change all four without having to fully remove the engine... but that still needs to be verified. Sure hope so. Right now all I've done is put a floor jack and a wooden block beneath it to raise the engine a bit. (Of course, that was AFTER pulling the BH and the FEL --which I had just put on to pull some small stumps-- and the MMM!)

DSC06621.jpgDSC06622.jpgDSC06623.jpgDSC06624.jpgDSC06625.jpg

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #5  
Glad there wasn't more damage.
It looks as if all the strain is on a bonded/glued joint, no backup in the design when it lets go like there wound be if a rod for example went thru the complete mount so it can't pull apart. Any chance it would be worthwhile trying to make something? If it did it once, it'll do it again............Mike

Well, we're still assessing damage, but it does appear minimal at this point. My thoughts, too, Mike-- drill through the rubber and put a bolt all the way through...? Not sure if that can easily be done. Looks like 3 of them separated at the bottom, one at the top.

Pretty much worked through the night, and I just hit it with a degreaser to clean things up a bit. Later today I'll call Jack's (I did find the part, just about the same price) and ask if they have them (hoping...!) or if I'm going to have to wait a month. That would be most inconvenient. (Glad I just finished mowing the lawn before mounting the BH and FEL!)

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #7  
My thoughts, too, Mike-- drill through the rubber and put a bolt all the way through...
That's what I was thinking also. You'd have to put rubber on top or bottom also to allow a bit of cushion when the motion is stretching rather than compression.......Mike

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #8  
Dang, Irving, say it ain't so! Sorry to hear about near catastrophe but glad you got her stable and back in the workshop. One more thing to add to my pre-start checklist.

-Phil

Yes! Looking back on it (ain't 20-20 hindsight great?), I now see where there were warning signs that I didn't understand... the chafing on my upper radiator hose due to the air cleaner box contacting it (why'd that happen? -- bent bracket slightly to add clearance), increased "rattling"/shaking in the ROPS lights (it's just cold today...?), the lowered ROPS itself (wrapped a bungee around it)... quite a few things related to what I'm guessing now were probably all related to increased engine movement.

Guess I SHOULD have looked at the mounts back then.... :confused3:

So-- all who have a similar-aged tractor... you might want to look at those mounts. Incidentally, it appears ALL the GC tractors use those same mounts, even the current 17XX series.

/ Horror of horrors! My 2310 is hurt! #10  
Sorry for you bad luck.

Since yours seems to be the exception, perhaps your mounts are defective. And, perhaps AGCO will give you new ones?

I'd ask.