horses and goat fencing

/ horses and goat fencing #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm planning on building my permanent fencing for my goats and horses. Currently I just have three rows of white tape electric fencing that has worked fine, but it's aging and ready for replacing. I feel that class 3 galvanizing is worth the additional cost, so that's all I'm looking at. Thicker metal is also stronger, so 12 1/2 gauge wire is also important. McCoys has this 4x4 woven wire for a fair price, .76 cents a foot, that might work, but I wanted your opinion on it, especially with horses.

Shop 48" Stiff-Stay 12-1/2 Gauge Sheep & Goat Field Fence at McCoy's

If you have horses, would you install a 4x4 mesh fence?

They also sell a 3x3 fence that they call horse fencing for $1.60 a foot that is High Tensile. The 4x4 fence does not say that it's High Tensile, which is another question. How much better is High Tensile woven wire fencing over fencing that is not High Tensile?

Shop 48" x 2' High-Tensile Horse Fence at McCoy's

Or should I go with 2x4 woven fencing and not waste my time with trying to save a buck?

When it's all said and done, I will have three 5 acre pastures with a total length of about 5,000 feet.

/ horses and goat fencing #2  
The 3x3 is designed so the horses hooves cannot go through it. or at least as easily. The 4x4 too much chance a leg can get in there. The wire will then cut like a knife.

Last place we boarded had high tensile 3 wire. Horse got a leg caught in it.... thankfully horse recovered and did not have to get put down.

We use electrobraid for that reason for the horses. I realize that is not going to be the answer for sheep or goats.

/ horses and goat fencing #3  
if your goats have horns they can get caught in a wire fence. you can run a hot wire on their side of the fence to keep them off of it.

/ horses and goat fencing #4  
I had 4 horses and a miniature mule in my 10 acre pasture for 3 years with no problems.
I stopped leasing it to the horse people last July and now let my neighbor run up to 50 goats in it when she wants with no problems.
I sectioned off a 40' X 100' area for my garden and bought the Red Top Wire and it kept them out.
I do get trespassers!

Attachments

• DSCN1099.JPG
    DSCN1099.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCN1236.JPG
    DSCN1236.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 304
   / horses and goat fencing
Nice trespassers!!! What is the spacing on your wire?

/ horses and goat fencing #6  
It is 6" X 6" and was installed over 10 years ago by the goat Lady who was leasing my pasture from the previous owners.
I put in new gates when I bought the property 4 years ago and ran a water line for the troughs.

Attachments

• DSCN0886.JPG
    DSCN0886.JPG
    899 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN0647.JPG
    DSCN0647.JPG
    724.7 KB · Views: 214
   / horses and goat fencing #8  
So, I would go fr the 2x4. This is what we used:

Red Brand Horse Fence, 6 in. x 1 ft. at Tractor Supply Co.

It was not cheap, but a friend of my wife had to put a horse down after it pulled a hoof off when it got stuck in the 3x3 or 4x4.

Also, if you ever think you may have a foal, you will want the smaller mesh.

One vet bill for a horse can quickly eat up any savings you may get from the cheaper fence.

/ horses and goat fencing #9  
In addition to containing animals,your challenges are #1. Keep predators out (primarly dogs that kill goats and chase horses). #2. Prevent horses stepping on lower fence and leaning over/on fence eventually leaning posts over.
If someone is around to help goats get heads out before they have to stay hung up more than 4 hours.
And If you make fence 6' tall (2 or 3 strands above net) or electric wire above net to keep horses off fence.
The 4x4 will be ok if you don't have small dogs roaming. Otherwise,you need mesh that goats can't put heads through plus above provisions for horses. 2x4 solve's heads hung up,dogs entering and horses stepping on bottom but unless it's 6' tall,you should add strands or electric at top.

/ horses and goat fencing #10  
I agree with USTMD. The 2"x4" fence that is 5' tall is the best for horses. You can add a hot wire to the top to keep them from leaning on the fence. I like the wire fencing that is black, makes the fence look nicer. We are going to use this:

Square Deal(R) Black Non-Climb Horse Fence 1-ft. Class 1 #1348-2-121/2

Has the square knots. When you mount the fence, keep the smooth side of the knot inside towards the horses.