Hot hot hot

/ Hot hot hot #1  

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610 ■YANMAR GURU■ EXTRAORDINAIRE
The drought here is getting dangerous like the 1988 era when the grass not only went brown, it turn white. When the wind blows, the white grass disappears and only sand is left.

I made an effort today to by installing a 55-gallon barrel up at the front garden. Got tired taking 2X 5-gallon buckets up there by hand 2X each day.

I've seen a few images California had for hauling water. Finally got a-round-2-it making mine. :)

Also added a red LED blinky thing to the SMV sign.

DSCF8476md.jpg

/ Hot hot hot #2  
And we are literally drowning here with over 5" of rain since late Thursday.

/ Hot hot hot #3  
Yep, 60’s and rain here for days on end. Should be about 85. Global warming.......NOT

/ Hot hot hot #4  
I'm crying for rain. Just seeded 20k+ft/2 'cause it said rain for 5, maybe 6 days.. I'ts been exactly one all week... 🤦

/ Hot hot hot #5  
Here in WA & Oregon the coastal range does a real job on the weather. Brookings, OR is drowning and we are dry as a popcorn fart over here in Ea WA. My property looks like it's September already.

/ Hot hot hot #6  
Very little snow this winter, plowed 4 times, and very little rain. We get all the dark clouds, but no rain falls.

/ Hot hot hot #7  
I've seen a few images California had for hauling water.
Thanks Bart!

For anyone not familiar with my longwinded posts :) here's what I built for watering 125 new apple trees:
kimg0712rwateronslope-jpg.434833

- Harbor Freight 40" x 48" trailer. (Used, $25). I added larger 13" tires to tow more easily on my steep, disced soft surface.
This trailer is exactly the size of a pallet.
- IBC Tote. Perfect fit on the trailer.
- Submersible 12 volt bilge pump (Link) down inside the Tote. Output at a new tree's reservoir is 15+ GPM.
I drain the last water out of the Tote at the end of each project, so the pump isn't left submerged.
- Plastic elbow and pipe to keep the pump upright. (Photo).
- 1 1/8" pool sweep flexible hose.
- Lawn sprinkler anti-siphon valve at the highest point above the tank. This breaks the siphon effect after the pump is shut off.
- Aluminum watering wand - was thin conduit or something. Fits the pool sweep hose. Its light weight is easier to lift as I depart to the next new tree.
- Brackets on tractor, to hold the watering wand as I drive.

Weight of the loaded trailer is 2600 lbs, exceeding the rated 900 lbs. But I don't need highway-level safety margin. A bent tongue is the only thing I've had to repair in a decade. (Bent trying to back uphill with the original 8" tires embedded to the rims in soft fluffy soil. The tongue folded instead. Get bigger wheels and tires).

Presently with the risk of fire so high, I leave this trailer next to my 1500 gallon tank visible from the lane, where anyone could fill it and tow it for firefighting if things go all to h*** this summer. I'm only 10 miles downwind from the worst fire in California history last year and similar the year before. A lot of fine ash and charcoal rained down both times, spot fires are possible. It's going to be interesting ...

/ Hot hot hot #8  
And regarding rain, as far as i'm concerned, Carolina is just Oregon with an accent. I've lived in both.

I'm just finishing a book written by a Nobel laureate about science in general. SOS. but in it he makes the point.......it's gonna rain a lot more in certain places.

I wish he told me that before I moved back to the tar heel st.

/ Hot hot hot #9  
Very little snow this winter, plowed 4 times, and very little rain. We get all the dark clouds, but no rain falls.
And we got average + snow this winter. Made good money plowing ‘20-‘21 season.

/ Hot hot hot #10  
And regarding rain, as far as i'm concerned, Carolina is just Oregon with an accent. I've lived in both.

I'm just finishing a book written by a Nobel laureate about science in general. SOS. but in it he makes the point.......it's gonna rain a lot more in certain places.
Climate change - it's not just an increase in temperature measured at various places. More important to humans - Everybody is starting to get someone else's weather pattern, as you noted. Wetter, dryer, hotter, whatever, weather patterns are moving around where they aren't expected. The example that first comes to mind is that Britain is rather far north but has a mild climate provided by circulation in the Atlantic that brings warm water up from the tropics. That circulation is slowing. I expect they will see some changes.

And we in California re getting slammed by drought. One theory is that the previous century was much wetter than the long term normal so that is what we expected to continue. But now the local climate is reverting back toward average - in addition to the global changes. We apparently can expect frequent massive fires, as the historic record indicates that was normal, pre-settlement.