Hot hot hot

/ Hot hot hot #41  
Heavy rain continues most of today, and a Thunderstorm forcasted tonight and tomorrow. Chickens seeking cover under anything and everything.

I saw a young fox strolling through the neighbourhood DOGS out to keep it off our yard and away from the chickens. I'm alerting the neighbours also.

That is today's excitement.

/ Hot hot hot #42  
Chemtool spent $40M to upgrade that building.

Chemtool to pour $40M into headquarters
"described as “a nightmare of building code and safety violations.” in 2008.

Yikes. $40M isn't actually all that much. Clearly whatever fire suppression system they had (heard it was only water based) was not even close to capable.

/ Hot hot hot
I could not see any sprinkler system at all in pictures when the plant was being set up. Maybe they don't do water with oil products?

j&w transfer chemtool - Google Search

And even more info - - -

Authorities said Tuesday they found hydrogen cyanide outside of the facility in elevated levels. -YIKES
Evacuation order still in effect Wednesday for Rockton residents impacted by Chemtool fire
When temps get above 78F, it morphs into a lethal gas. Glad the overnight temps dropped into the 60s. It explains when several roads are closed off too.

And this info . . .

Rockton Police say residents can call 877-552-8942 to arrange to have the fire-related debris removed for them, rather that removing it themselves. A contactor, Clean Harbors, has been arranged by the Lubrizol Foundation, the parent company of Chemtool, to assist the residents in removing fire-related debris from residential homes and businesses in the area.

A handful of brush fires in fields and neighborhood yards south of the plant happened as well.

/ Hot hot hot #45  
"described as “a nightmare of building code and safety violations.” in 2008.

Yikes. $40M isn't actually all that much. Clearly whatever fire suppression system they had (heard it was only water based) was not even close to capable.
This is what I meant when I cited officials who won't do their jobs and it got a couple of homers' panties in a knot.

It's everywhere. In Florida, before Hurricane Andrew hit, code enforcement was more wishful thinking than anything. More in some areas than others. Billy the Code Inspector would come onto the New-Construction jobsite, shake hands with his cuz John and sign the plans on the board and pick his 'gratuity' up later on.

I went over there right after Andrew hit. Homestead more than Miami. But you could see areas that were wiped off the Earth and right across the street, the homes had their roofs on, they were still standing, very little structural damage at all. Maybe a pool enclosure was down here and there (another topic for another time comes to mind) but all in all, very good condition. Know why? Only if I tell you why.

Because they were in Communities that were built out by One Company; Toll Brothers, Pulte, even Lennar. A Company with on-site Supervisors that made sure codes were followed and construction guidleines were adhered to. They stood the test.

On the other side of the street where mostly Spec or even Custom Homes were built, where the home-buyer had only the City or Country Inspectors to rely on -- Flat as a pancake.

So the State Insurance Department started rating areas for Building Code Compliance. Like they rate for Fire Departments. Yes, Virginia. They grade Fire Departments.

The areas that got the lowest grades, thereby upping Insurance costs by as much 150% were..... You'll never guess in a Million years. But if you said, 'Big Cities' please see the Site Administrators for your prize.

It's almost always the same people causing most of the grief that the rest of us have to pay the price for. Big goobermint that is too crooked to do their jobs, Big Cities that are too corrupt to care.

After a while you might start to think that big goobermint could possibly, maybe, just a thought, might have some criminal elements to it.

nah

Last edited:
   / Hot hot hot #46  
I'm glad the wind was from the North and it kept the smoke away. I would not want to breathe the stuff, have it in my garden or swimming pool. It looks like the smoke is heading into Indiana now after going through S Chicago.

Now, I sure hope we get the rain that is predicted Thursday night. I'm so dry I could fart dust.

/ Hot hot hot #50  
HSIlOWc.gif