How are you dispensing gear oil?

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
I am using a pump sprayer for my automatic transmission fluid and a hand pump for the 5 gal bucket of hydraulic oil. I'm looking for a cost effective way to dispense gear oil. In most cases a funnel doesn't cut it. The pump sprayer works great for the trans fluid, just think gear oil is going to be to thick. Steve
IMAG0220.jpg

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I am looking for what others say.. When I changed out the 11 gallons in the Kioti, I planned on using a D cell battery powered pump.. Yeah, it did not work, the fluid was too thick and and flowed like the proverbial molasses. I wound up using a funnel and holding a 5 gallon pail chest high for a good long time. Well actually 2 of them, and a little bit of a 3rd. Needless to say that sucked.

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
On another forum, this was being used by the poster, and he was real pleased with it.

Well, that's the cheapest I've ever seen a pump like that. I gave more than $25 for a rinky-dink plastic one that has had leaky seals since day one.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
Auto part stores do carry a siphon pump that looks like a grease gun except that It fills on the pull stroke and ejects on the push. Generally come with about 12" of soft hose. Once you have one you wonder how you ever got by without.

Also there are food and some soap dispensers that have a nozzle with generally a tiny screw cap.
I generally carry a quart one in the tractor with hydraulic oil should I want to top up my FEL hydraulics that has been known to lose drip by drip.

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HST w/ LA350 loader, Kubota GF1800 HST, Kioti CK3510SE HST w/ KL4030 loader, Kioti NX4510HST/cab w/ KL6010 loader
Good timing on this thread, as I was about to start one when the OP beat me to it. :) I've been thinking of ordering a five-gallon bucket pump to dispense tractor hydraulic oil. Here's what Northern Equipment has on sale now for $27, but shipping is $8+. bucket pump from Northern Tool + Equipment. Claims it pumps 2 oz. per lever stroke.

Amazon has something similar, claimed to pump 1 qt per 12 lever strokes (works out to 2.7 oz/stroke). Amazon.com: Lumax LX-1300 Black Lever-Action Bucket Pump for 5 Gallon Pails: Automotive

And another one for a bit less, but claiming to pump 4 oz./stroke. Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648772 Level Bucket Pump: Automotive

If the specs are to be believed, the last one pumps at twice the rate of the Northern Equipment unit. Reviews are uneven. Hmm. Wondering what to order. :confused: That's the problem with too many choices!

I also can't tell how the Lincoln Lube unit linked to by Depmandog and used by Diamondpilot stacks up against these others.

Don't mind paying more for something that will hold up at bit better.

Depmandog

Elite Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706, 756, 806 & 1086
LINCOLN Grease Pump,25 to 50 lb. Buckets - Grease Pumps - 6WB32'|'G400 - Grainger Industrial Supply

On the Grainger site, says the Lincoln pump is 1.5 ounce per stroke.

LINCOLN Dispenser,Gear Lube - Oil Pumps - 6Y881'|'1293 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This is a gear lube pump, Lincoln brand. Says 1 ounce per stroke, rack rate at Grainer $139.

WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump,Oil,Up to 4 oz - Oil Pumps - 5NUD5'|'5NUD5 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This one is more expensive, but says it pumps "up to" 4 ounces per stroke. It also has three settings for different viscosities. Would make since to be able to pump more lighter fluid then gear weight...

Also saw some that was several hundred bucks... Out of my budget!!

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
At home, I turned a old propane tank into a pressurized reservoir to pump gear oils etc. Some old hose and a valve on the end, with a piece of fuel line bent into a J shape. Dont do this if you arent 100% confident in your welding ability;) I do try to keep the pressure down in the 20-30psi range though.

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HST w/ LA350 loader, Kubota GF1800 HST, Kioti CK3510SE HST w/ KL4030 loader, Kioti NX4510HST/cab w/ KL6010 loader
After looking at various options online, I've ordered the Westward pump, model 5NUD5, through Zoro. WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump, Oil, Up to 4 oz 5NUD5 - G0497594 at Zoro. For those who don't know, Zoro is a no-frills operating subsidiary of Grainger. They have better pricing on a more limited range of items as a trade off for Grainger's full service.

Curious to see how this pump holds up under moderate use with tractor hydraulic fluid. It looks like it's a bit more substantial than some of the other inexpensive bucket pumps. Here's the manual for it: www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Westward-Lever-Action-Bucket-Pump-Owners-Manual.pdf

OP
T

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
I like this which is a race version of Scooby074's idea, propane tank about right size, just something about welding on propane tank..... leaning towards empty Freon tanks.
oil dispensing..jpg
Issue is need three so price, ugh. the above is going to eat up floor space, where could put bucket pump under bench, be it tall shelf. Still undecided, going to need to make mind up soon, late spring going to be here soon and I have some equipment if it isn't leaking I am worried.

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
I like this which is a race version of Scooby074's idea, propane tank about right size, just something about welding on propane tank..... leaning towards empty Freon tanks.
View attachment 418835
[snip]

Your pic got me to thinking. For a pressurized dispensing tank, wonder what it would take to adapt one of the HF sandblasting rigs. :scratchchin:110 lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster Seems like it would be easy enough, and cheap (around $100 on sale with a coupon).

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
View attachment 418835
Issue is need three so price, ugh. the above is going to eat up floor space, where could put bucket pump under bench, be it tall shelf. Still undecided, going to need to make mind up soon, late spring going to be here soon and I have some equipment if it isn't leaking I am worried.

Thats basically what I built, minus the wheels, gauges and fancy valves.

OP
T

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
You can buy the Race one in post 12 for $150. I would like to be able to dump a five gal bucket in then forget about it. I have looked at using the 5 gal air tanks, but at 5 gal that is questionable as you need some space for the air. I like the discarded propane tank idea, have to get over the fear of welding on it. Once a guy figures it out he could crank out 3-4 with out issue, which is where I am at. I have something like the above for sucking oil out and it is huge time saver. Also, have the oil drain/sucker and then pressurize to get waste oil out. like that too. Issue is we need an 8 to 10 gal tank in the $20-$30 range. Then can you build it for what they are selling it for?

bulldog69

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3000DT/ M 9000 DTC
A friend of mine built a rack the would hold four 55 gal drums on their side. Before putting the drum in the rack he had a fitting that went in the 2" bung and was reduced down to a 1/2" ball valve. He had short and long hoses that would screw in the ball valves so he could either run oil out into a container sitting on the floor or could run a hose to the equipment. The small plug would be replaced with one that had a valve stem in it so air could be added to the drum when needed.

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Thought I'd post an update on my experience with the Westward bucket pump. WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump, Oil, Up to 4 oz 5NUD5 - G0497594 at Zoro

I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Seems to be well-made overall. The bucket cover is sturdy metal, not plastic as I half expected. I tested the output volume before using on the tractors, and it does indeed deliver nearly 4 oz of hydraulic oil with each stroke. Delivery rate was what made it attractive to me, compared with other inexpensive bucket pumps. Well worth the $54, IMO.

To avoid leaks, I suggest the following before using, in addition to assembly per instructions: (1) Snug up the gland nut that seals against the piston rod. Mine was loose and some oil escape on the first few strokes. (2) Retighten the four Phillips-head machine screws that attach the metal casting to the bucket cover. One was not torqued down well. (3) Adjust the lever to give the longest piston stroke if you want maximum delivery rate for light oil (e.g., tractor hydraulic fluid and SAE 90 geal oil). The factory default setting is the middle hole of the three. (4) Replace the included spring clip with a proper stainless steel hose clamp to ensure a good seal between the vinyl hose and the cast barb fitting.

Sure beats transferring oil from the five gallon buckets to a smaller container and then using a funnel. I'm leaving the pump on the bucket for easy topping off.

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
I am about 15 hours shy of 950 hours requiring hydraulic and engine oil change. I will try to suck the oil out of transmission first and only then drain what is left. So I bought cheap HF roller pump that I could power by a drill. It says that it would pump oil, diesel etc. I am hoping it will prime itself lifting the oil about a foot. It shouldn't take long before I reach the hours and do the oil change. I will report how it worked.

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
I am about 15 hours shy of 950 hours requiring hydraulic and engine oil change. I will try to suck the oil out of transmission first and only then drain what is left. So I bought cheap HF roller pump that I could power by a drill. It says that it would pump oil, diesel etc. I am hoping it will prime itself lifting the oil about a foot. It shouldn't take long before I reach the hours and do the oil change. I will report how it worked.

I'm not sure you'll ever be able to suck all, or even most, of the old fluid out from the top.

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I wasted my money on them pumps a few times from a few different stores. Less than impressed.

Chris

kevinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D
I use this.

2015-04-04 19.28.06.jpg

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
I'm not sure you'll ever be able to suck all, or even most, of the old fluid out from the top.

The issue is that there are almost two buckets of hydraulic oil in the machine. It happened to me that bucket I was draining oil into overflowed. In any case it is a messy job. What I need is to pump out as much oil as I can to two buckets and drain only what is left in the transmission. I think it will be easier to do with the pump since I will not be working under the tractor.
Then I will use the same pump to fill the trany with fresh hydraulic fluid.

OP
T

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
I purchased one of the air operated vacuum suckers from northern tool, really like it. Comes with the different tubes for the different dip sticks. Surprised at how much it actually gets out. Use it for a lot more than I thought I would. I ended up purchasing two, one for oil and another we use antifreeze. The opposite is what I would like to use for dispensing it.

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
The issue is that there are almost two buckets of hydraulic oil in the machine. It happened to me that bucket I was draining oil into overflowed. In any case it is a messy job. What I need is to pump out as much oil as I can to two buckets and drain only what is left in the transmission. I think it will be easier to do with the pump since I will not be working under the tractor.
Then I will use the same pump to fill the trany with fresh hydraulic fluid.

Well to use the pump to suck the oil from trany was a total failure. First problem was to prime the pump, then I was able to suck out only about 2 out of about 9 gallons.

OP
T

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
42610_400x400.jpg
You want one of these, sucks the oil out. I bought this one then a larger one. Use this one for water/antifreeze and larger one for oil changes.

Threepoint

Veteran Member
Tractor
Well to use the pump to suck the oil from trany was a total failure. First problem was to prime the pump, then I was able to suck out only about 2 out of about 9 gallons.

Rather than try to suck it out, I just drain the hydro fluid into a Roughneck oil-change dolly. No problem with overflowing, as it holds 15 gallons. The manual rotary pump lets you then transfer the waste oil to five gal. buckets for recycling at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. Well worth the $$, IMO. Roughneck Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly with Pump — 15-Gallon Capacity | Low Profile| Northern Tool + Equipment

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
Rather than try to suck it out, I just drain the hydro fluid into a Roughneck oil-change dolly. No problem with overflowing, as it holds 15 gallons. The manual rotary pump lets you then transfer the waste oil to five gal. buckets for recycling at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. Well worth the $$, IMO. Roughneck Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly with Pump 15-Gallon Capacity | Low Profile| Northern Tool + Equipment

Now I am thinking about FRAM Sure Drain valves. Amazon.com: Fram SD3 SureDrain Fast Access Oil Change Drain Plug System: Automotive

OP
T

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
Advantage of sucking it out is it gives you some flexibility. It is not fast. I hook it up and walk away. You can still pull the drain valve. I have found in some instances you have to use a shallow drain pain, and no matter what you do you can't do it with out making a mess. Small engines suck it out. Automotive trans, suck it out then drop the pan.