How are you dispensing gear oil?

/ How are you dispensing gear oil?
I like this which is a race version of Scooby074's idea, propane tank about right size, just something about welding on propane tank..... leaning towards empty Freon tanks.
oil dispensing..jpg
Issue is need three so price, ugh. the above is going to eat up floor space, where could put bucket pump under bench, be it tall shelf. Still undecided, going to need to make mind up soon, late spring going to be here soon and I have some equipment if it isn't leaking I am worried.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #12  
I like this which is a race version of Scooby074's idea, propane tank about right size, just something about welding on propane tank..... leaning towards empty Freon tanks.
View attachment 418835
[snip]

Your pic got me to thinking. For a pressurized dispensing tank, wonder what it would take to adapt one of the HF sandblasting rigs. :scratchchin:110 lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster Seems like it would be easy enough, and cheap (around $100 on sale with a coupon).

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #13  
View attachment 418835
Issue is need three so price, ugh. the above is going to eat up floor space, where could put bucket pump under bench, be it tall shelf. Still undecided, going to need to make mind up soon, late spring going to be here soon and I have some equipment if it isn't leaking I am worried.

Thats basically what I built, minus the wheels, gauges and fancy valves.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil?
You can buy the Race one in post 12 for $150. I would like to be able to dump a five gal bucket in then forget about it. I have looked at using the 5 gal air tanks, but at 5 gal that is questionable as you need some space for the air. I like the discarded propane tank idea, have to get over the fear of welding on it. Once a guy figures it out he could crank out 3-4 with out issue, which is where I am at. I have something like the above for sucking oil out and it is huge time saver. Also, have the oil drain/sucker and then pressurize to get waste oil out. like that too. Issue is we need an 8 to 10 gal tank in the $20-$30 range. Then can you build it for what they are selling it for?

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #15  
   / How are you dispensing gear oil? #16  
11 Gallon Portable Air Tank

If you are concerned about your welding abilities / welding on a propane tank - what about an air pig like the HF one above, or the even cheaper 5 gal model?

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #17  
A friend of mine built a rack the would hold four 55 gal drums on their side. Before putting the drum in the rack he had a fitting that went in the 2" bung and was reduced down to a 1/2" ball valve. He had short and long hoses that would screw in the ball valves so he could either run oil out into a container sitting on the floor or could run a hose to the equipment. The small plug would be replaced with one that had a valve stem in it so air could be added to the drum when needed.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #18  
Thought I'd post an update on my experience with the Westward bucket pump. WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump, Oil, Up to 4 oz 5NUD5 - G0497594 at Zoro

I'm pretty impressed with it so far. Seems to be well-made overall. The bucket cover is sturdy metal, not plastic as I half expected. I tested the output volume before using on the tractors, and it does indeed deliver nearly 4 oz of hydraulic oil with each stroke. Delivery rate was what made it attractive to me, compared with other inexpensive bucket pumps. Well worth the $54, IMO.

To avoid leaks, I suggest the following before using, in addition to assembly per instructions: (1) Snug up the gland nut that seals against the piston rod. Mine was loose and some oil escape on the first few strokes. (2) Retighten the four Phillips-head machine screws that attach the metal casting to the bucket cover. One was not torqued down well. (3) Adjust the lever to give the longest piston stroke if you want maximum delivery rate for light oil (e.g., tractor hydraulic fluid and SAE 90 geal oil). The factory default setting is the middle hole of the three. (4) Replace the included spring clip with a proper stainless steel hose clamp to ensure a good seal between the vinyl hose and the cast barb fitting.

Sure beats transferring oil from the five gallon buckets to a smaller container and then using a funnel. I'm leaving the pump on the bucket for easy topping off.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #19  
I am about 15 hours shy of 950 hours requiring hydraulic and engine oil change. I will try to suck the oil out of transmission first and only then drain what is left. So I bought cheap HF roller pump that I could power by a drill. It says that it would pump oil, diesel etc. I am hoping it will prime itself lifting the oil about a foot. It shouldn't take long before I reach the hours and do the oil change. I will report how it worked.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #20  
I am about 15 hours shy of 950 hours requiring hydraulic and engine oil change. I will try to suck the oil out of transmission first and only then drain what is left. So I bought cheap HF roller pump that I could power by a drill. It says that it would pump oil, diesel etc. I am hoping it will prime itself lifting the oil about a foot. It shouldn't take long before I reach the hours and do the oil change. I will report how it worked.

I'm not sure you'll ever be able to suck all, or even most, of the old fluid out from the top.