How are you dispensing gear oil?

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #21  
I am about 15 hours shy of 950 hours requiring hydraulic and engine oil change. I will try to suck the oil out of transmission first and only then drain what is left. So I bought cheap HF roller pump that I could power by a drill. It says that it would pump oil, diesel etc. I am hoping it will prime itself lifting the oil about a foot. It shouldn't take long before I reach the hours and do the oil change. I will report how it worked.

I wasted my money on them pumps a few times from a few different stores. Less than impressed.

Chris

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #22  
I use this.

2015-04-04 19.28.06.jpg

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #23  
I'm not sure you'll ever be able to suck all, or even most, of the old fluid out from the top.

The issue is that there are almost two buckets of hydraulic oil in the machine. It happened to me that bucket I was draining oil into overflowed. In any case it is a messy job. What I need is to pump out as much oil as I can to two buckets and drain only what is left in the transmission. I think it will be easier to do with the pump since I will not be working under the tractor.
Then I will use the same pump to fill the trany with fresh hydraulic fluid.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil?
I purchased one of the air operated vacuum suckers from northern tool, really like it. Comes with the different tubes for the different dip sticks. Surprised at how much it actually gets out. Use it for a lot more than I thought I would. I ended up purchasing two, one for oil and another we use antifreeze. The opposite is what I would like to use for dispensing it.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #25  
The issue is that there are almost two buckets of hydraulic oil in the machine. It happened to me that bucket I was draining oil into overflowed. In any case it is a messy job. What I need is to pump out as much oil as I can to two buckets and drain only what is left in the transmission. I think it will be easier to do with the pump since I will not be working under the tractor.
Then I will use the same pump to fill the trany with fresh hydraulic fluid.

Well to use the pump to suck the oil from trany was a total failure. First problem was to prime the pump, then I was able to suck out only about 2 out of about 9 gallons.

42610_400x400.jpg
You want one of these, sucks the oil out. I bought this one then a larger one. Use this one for water/antifreeze and larger one for oil changes.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #27  
Well to use the pump to suck the oil from trany was a total failure. First problem was to prime the pump, then I was able to suck out only about 2 out of about 9 gallons.

Rather than try to suck it out, I just drain the hydro fluid into a Roughneck oil-change dolly. No problem with overflowing, as it holds 15 gallons. The manual rotary pump lets you then transfer the waste oil to five gal. buckets for recycling at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. Well worth the $$, IMO. Roughneck Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly with Pump — 15-Gallon Capacity | Low Profile| Northern Tool + Equipment

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #28  
Rather than try to suck it out, I just drain the hydro fluid into a Roughneck oil-change dolly. No problem with overflowing, as it holds 15 gallons. The manual rotary pump lets you then transfer the waste oil to five gal. buckets for recycling at Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. Well worth the $$, IMO. Roughneck Low-Profile Oil Drain Dolly with Pump 15-Gallon Capacity | Low Profile| Northern Tool + Equipment

Now I am thinking about FRAM Sure Drain valves. Amazon.com: Fram SD3 SureDrain Fast Access Oil Change Drain Plug System: Automotive

Advantage of sucking it out is it gives you some flexibility. It is not fast. I hook it up and walk away. You can still pull the drain valve. I have found in some instances you have to use a shallow drain pain, and no matter what you do you can't do it with out making a mess. Small engines suck it out. Automotive trans, suck it out then drop the pan.