How bad am I scr*wed?

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
So, in an old thread yesterday I read that aluminum pumps on Kiotis are bad news and it's just a matter of time until they break. Using a magnet, I found out my new to me 2010 Kioti LK30 has such an aluminum pump :( Are they as bad as I read? My backhoe is off the tractor right now so I can't test the hydraulic pressure with it but using the front loader bucket in its dump position, the tractor has no trouble raising its front off the ground. Something else I can try? The dealer's employee brought the 500lb snow blower attached to the bucket so I know it's able to lift that weight.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #2  
If I remember correctly, the aluminum housing of the pump, has four steel bolts that if over tightened, may strip the threads in the softer aluminum housing. It's only an occasional problem based on my readings. What ever you do, just don't break open the pump, because pump seals and O-rings are very hard to get, if not impossible. Your pump maybe good for the life of the tractor, and sounds like you currently have good hydraulic pressure.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #3  
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If you’re that worried about it sell the tractor otherwise keep using it.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #4  
Nothing wrong with aluminium body pumps. These pumps are used everywhere, from small tractors, up to huge industrial machines, attachments, the list goes and on, and it will last thousands and thousands of hours on a well maintained hydraulic system.

Change the hydraulic fluid and filters when it's time to do it and it will be good. Also, clean the hydraulic strainer/screen that some tractors have.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #5  
I replaced a Rexroth pump for about $9000 on a JCB. Definitely not for the faint of heart.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Just follow your tractors maintenance schedule. Life’s too short to worry about a pump grenading.

Last edited:
   / How bad am I scr*wed? #6  
My new 2004 LK3054xs was equipped with an aluminum body hydraulic pump when purchased. Very soon into ownership I "had issues" with the hydraulics. When the fluid warmed during use, the backhoe would not curl the bucket in live sand and the loader wouldn't lift the front of the tractor. Dealer changed it out with the cast iron unit under warranty and all has been good since. Good luck Your LK30 is a 3054 with a different engine

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #7  
Aluminum components are like plastic body parts and two speed HSTs. Some people really hate them and they are usually people with no actual experience. They have been used successfully for years. Manufacturers don't make parts of aluminum to save money. There are advantages in heat transfer, corrosion resistance and other things.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #8  
It doesn't take much experience to operate the curl function on a hoe or try to lift the tractor with the loader

/ How bad am I scr*wed?
Thanks all. @Patches, I think one of your post as well as someone else's post is the reason I started this thread. Hopefully yours is just anecdotal and my pump is having and will have no issues. I'll know more once I started using the backhoe when the ground as hardened. It's way too wet now.

/ How bad am I scr*wed? #10  
Fingers crossed; think spring