How bad is it???

/ How bad is it??? #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
The Mrs was helping me blow out the drive since I'm stuck at work. She says she forgot to push in the clutch before engaging the pto(540) now she says "it won't work" Brand new 2615HST....(was) (at least I didn't do it...:rolleyes:)

/ How bad is it??? #2  
Obviously you need to use the clutch to engage the PTO, but in the event you don't, the chances you're gonna break something the first time or two that you do it is unlikely.

I'd be willing to bet that the tractor's PTO "IS" working, but the sudden shock load snapped the shear pin in the blower's drive shaft. That would give you the symptom of the PTO not working. I'd check that first.

If it's not that, I'd hope it was still under warranty, and wouldn't volunteer any info on how it happened!!!

/ How bad is it???
I'm hoping that's what happened. I wonder if I should have the fluid changed in case the gears got chipped and are in the fluid? Is there a filter? I'd hate to lose a bearing because of shavings...

/ How bad is it??? #4  
Mike,
If she forgot to push in the clutch and engaged to PTO for the blower she probably snapped the PTO shear bolt. It happened to me once so I changed the way I engaged the PTO as follows. I always start at a low RPM and slowly engaged the clutch to get it turning then brought RPM up to 540 mark. I found there was less stress on shear bolts doing it this way. I'm sure its an easy fix just a replacement shear bolt.
George

/ How bad is it??? #6  
Don't worry about it till you get home and locate the problem, as no matter who did it, it will still be your fault for not teaching SWMBO the right and correct way of engaging the pto, and making sure she understood, and remembered. Even if you did teach her, she understood, and you wrote it down in blood, it will still be your fault cause you bought that stupid tractor. Sooooo, just go home, fix it and forget you ever heard about it. Life will be much happier that way!
David from jax

/ How bad is it???
Phweeeewwww, the shear bolt took the hit!!! I'm also happy I didn't pop a fuse over it. She felt really bad and everything is cool...I'm sure it was a valuble lesson. I tried to remember how many hours she DOESN'T have on the tractor. Thanks for the help!

/ How bad is it??? #9  
Phweeeewwww, the shear bolt took the hit!!! I'm also happy I didn't pop a fuse over it. She felt really bad and everything is cool...I'm sure it was a valuble lesson. I tried to remember how many hours she DOESN'T have on the tractor. Thanks for the help!

You two should be sleeping like spoons tonight. Your wife and you, I mean. Not you and the tractor. :)

/ How bad is it??? #10  
you replaced the shear bolt with a case hardened bolt so it won't happen again, didn't you? that'll "fix her"

hahaha just KIDDING!!!