How big of a tine grapple should I consider?

/ How big of a tine grapple should I consider? #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
I am looking at a few tine grapples with the dual grapple. Should I be concerned about weight? I have a lifting capacity of 3800lbs at the pivot point on my loader and some of these grapples are close to 1300lbs in weight. I would be moving mostly manure with it and occasionally brush and trees.

I like the one from Jenkins iron and steel (Tine Grapple Skid Steer Attachment | Jenkins Iron & Steel) . It is 2200 delivered to my door according to the website and weights 1240lbs for the 78". I do think I wouldn't want to go any bigger than 78". They offer a 83" and is only 50lbs more so maybe I'd go that big if I went with this grapple.

Some of the other grapples I found and like and are in the under 3k price range are:

Grapple Buckets - Custom built Skid Steer attachments to fit almost any need you may have. The removable Tine grapple. I would inquire about the 72 and 84" on this one depending on weight but I also don't much about this company and their build quality.

MeyersBuilt Skid Steer Attachments The manure tine grapple. It is listed at 2580 and shipping would be close to 400. Look like they are built decently. Not a huge fan that the end of the grapple doesn't line up with the tips of the tines but I asked them if that can be changed or not.

72" Tine Fork Grapple Bucket Silage Rake Manure Hay Bale Skid steer loader rock This seems to be the cheapest model out there. Not sure of quality of the build and that it doesn't have a solid back on it but I believe I could add some plates.

I am not sure if there are any others out there that are similar and in the same price range but HLA is too expensive, Notch is up there in price and there's quite a few more over the 4k price and that is too much for me.

Anyone have any experience with any of the mentioned grapples?

/ How big of a tine grapple should I consider?
I like the light weight of that grapple but I would prefer if the claws were further to the outside. I sent them an email anyways asking for price and what not.

/ How big of a tine grapple should I consider? #4  
I like the light weight of that grapple but I would prefer if the claws were further to the outside. I sent them an email anyways asking for price and what not.

Why wanting tines farther to outside and how are you going to move manure with it?

Why wanting tines farther to outside and how are you going to move manure with it?

Not the tines farther to the outside. The grapple part itself. It won't lessen the amount that I am able to grab and plus with the one manure pile I move, I have to do a lot of grabbing with either the left or right side of the fork while still needing to push myself out with the grapple.

/ How big of a tine grapple should I consider? #6  
Not the tines farther to the outside. The grapple part itself. It won't lessen the amount that I am able to grab and plus with the one manure pile I move, I have to do a lot of grabbing with either the left or right side of the fork while still needing to push myself out with the grapple.

Fan of the 1st grapple with the non tied tines,

I know when cleaning stalls this type works well (at least for me) for piercing into out old hay and horse manure
and without just pushing it away from the grapple.
This style also works well for construction cleanup and stabbing into slash piles without just pushing the pile away. Some members don't like them because they are more likely to bend or break an individual tine, which can happen but with this style the tines are generally replaceable.

The grapple from Jenkins has been my first choice as well but, Meyers emailed me back with updated pictures of their current model since it's different from the website. I actually like that one now. It's very similar to HLAs debris grapple. It would be 2980 shipping included and about 400lbs lighter than Jenkins.

Here are the new model design from Meyers that they sent me. Its only primed photos.
manure tine new style 1.jpg
manure tine new style 2.jpg
manure tine new style 3.jpg

Its pretty much between Meyers and Jenkins. Meyers weighs about 400lbs less for the equivalent size. The clamp on Meyers looks pretty beefy but I like how the tines on Jenkins are cut...

So I went ahead an ordered the Jenkins grapple. I went with the 83" Tine grapple.

I decided to go with the heavier grapple because I liked how they have the tines bolted in behind the plate and it'll give me more "meat" to work with if I need to do any welding (novice welder). The cheaper price tag also helped a bit.. It should be here in about 2 - 3 weeks!