How big of cylinder do I need?

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Hello - I need advice on how big of a hydraulic cylinder I need to convert my 84" rake from manual to hydraulic operation.
Is one cylinder sufficient or should I use 2 , 1 on each side? Thank you

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #3  
Hello - I need advice on how big of a hydraulic cylinder I need to convert my 84" rake from manual to hydraulic operation.
Is one cylinder sufficient or should I use 2 , 1 on each side? Thank you
Typically for this type of application, a 3" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod is what I would recommend. Without actually laying it all out on the implement, probably a 10", 12", or 14" stroke unit. The longer the stroke, the easier it is to make fine smooth adjustments.

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #4  
I imagine a rake is a pretty forgiving app for this because you'd probably have a hard time damaging a cylinder before you just bent or broke the rake tines instead.

Cylinder stroke and bore would both affect the sensitivity, but since this is such a low duty cycle you could always put an adjustable restrictor inline too, if you happened to already have a cylinder you wanted to use and it ended up too fast. Either way, you have to match your attachment points to the travel you have,but attachment points might dictate the cylinder stroke more so than the other way around. So the first thing is figure out where and how you could attach the cylinder, and see what kind of travel it would need there to get the right amount of rotation on the rake.

/ How big of cylinder do I need?
Good advice. I've got the rake on the tractor now so I'll try to figure out the throw I'll need. Obviously the closer to the pivot pin I mount the less throw i'll need -
I'm thinking the load is minimal to move the rake. The real load is holding the rake in position when the rake snags a rock or a pile of earth

I guess the geometry would be close to a dozer blade set up ?

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #8  
Typically most off the shelf cylinders are rated for 3000PSI. I personally only use and recommend welded cylinders.
I am not a fan of tie rod cylinders.
Most of the utility tractors are set up around 2500PSI plus or minus.
I recommend a 3" dia cylinder with a 1 1/2" dia rod for this application, but that's just me.

/ How big of cylinder do I need?
With the rake square to the boom I marked a point on the 3pt frame and on the rake frame and swung the rake to 45º left and right.
I need 27" short and 36" long. So a 9-10 inch stroke would do.

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #10  
I would think a snow plow set-up would work.