How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
I have a small stock tank to clean out. It is about 200' in diameter. I have a NH L190 skid steer with a 1 yd bucket to work with. Can anybody give me some guidance as to how to get started with this job. It has been very dry here in West Texas. The tank looks dry in the bottom. I know that as soon as I start digging into it, it will turn into a muddy mess. I am pretty sure that there is a clay liner under the silt that I don't want to penetrate.

My skid steer has rubber tires, would it be worth while to put OTT Tracks on for this job?

I have never tried to do this before however my tractor dealer assures me that several around here have done it before successfully with a skid steer. Most of the big operators in our area seem to use a dozer or a excavator to do this work. Any advice you can give will be welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #2  
For starters, you might check youtube for "stuck skid steer" videos to give you and idea of what not to do ;-) Some of the more fun to watch videos are the stuck big excavators!

Yes, definitely tracks, not bare tires. Still in all, I have my doubts but YMMV.

The OTT track companies have some videos of running skid steers in some pretty good slop. IDK though, maybe they had solid ground underneath the slop.

Good luck. I'll watch the thread to see what others can contribute.

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #3  
I used a skid steer to clean out a pond similar in size, back in the early 80's, ( it was work my boss gave me to keep me busy)

I remember it was fairly easy, the very bottom of the pond was slightly wet, so I worked in from the dryer edges and was able to get it pretty good, half a bucket of semi-dry and the other half was pretty wet, but I was able to stay on dryer ground and get out. There was probably a 10-14' circle in the center that I had to be particularly careful. I was a young man then and it was a blast at the time, took around 3, 8 hr days IIRC. The Bobcat I was using had rubber wheels, no tracks. The thing for me was keeping mud off the treads to maintain good traction, of course I wasn't concerned about ripping a liner, that would have put a "dent" in my plans.

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #4  
I think there is a thread here where a guy used his tractor to clean out a pond and he just worked a trench down the middle of it till he could go not further and then moved over and started another cut. I think I would work the edges all the way around in a spiral circle ending in the middle. It likely isnt as dry as you think especially if it is spring fed. The spring may not be flowing but it will be wet down deep. Tracks will be a requirement.

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #5  
I've used skid steers to clean out slurry lagoons in the past - very similar construction to your stock pond with clay used as a liner. As Gary says's, I would drive a channel through the middle / deepest point first. It will be wet and the clay will be slippery, but if compacted properly when built it should remain a fairly hard base meaning you shouldn't get bogged down. Try to avoid running in the same ruts each time, and also turing 360 degrees as this will chew up the clay.

Once you have a channel through the deepest point, the water will naturally drain out of the sludge, allowing you to work outwards onto dryer ground. If necessary you can always pump out any water which collects - to dry out the rest of the area to work on.

My only concern would be getting in and out of the pond - depending upon the gradient of the banks / ramp, you may have traction trouble once your wet wheels have been up and down a few times. Because we were dealing with the solids left in slurry lagoons (after the liquid had been tankered away) we used to back a tractor & trailer into the pit to save the skidsteer or loading shovel getting in and out of the pit so often. :thumbsup:

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?
Thanks guys, sounds like it is certainly doable. I think a set of tracks will be in order. Been looking at Affordable Tracks for a while now.

I wondered about digging a hole out in the middle and pumping it some. before I got started with the skid. Any thoughts?

Tim

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #7  
FYI every foot deep of material you remove is 18 yrd of material.

any idea of how many feet you'll be pulling out?

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?
Steve,

It looks like there will be a little over 2300 yards of silt to remove. 200' diameter and approx 4' deep in the middle.

Tim

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #9  
I don't have very much experience with skid steers, but have found that traction is a problem with any amount of moisture. Tracks would help, but even then, if you are in mud, you wont get very far. I dug my small 3/4 acre pond with my two wheel drive full size loader backho. It has a one yard bucket that I used to dig and haul the dirt out of the pond. I spent several months going back and forth. At first, I was spreading the dirt and keeping it nice, but as winter got closer, I started just dumping the dirt as soon as I got out of the pond. That pile took over a year to get rid of, but at least I got the pond dug.

I would have multiple entry points into the pond because dripping water from what you are hauling out will create mud. Having one ramp in and out means you might have the same problems I did with trying to get out with a full load and no traction.

Even if you don't get it all, whatever you do get will just make the pond that much better. Hope you have a lot of time and a comfortable seat!!!

Eddie

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #10  
I just finished digging my second pond. With the rains we got before finishing, I had to pump it out twice and then rented a mini track loader. As long as I kept the rear end of the Bobcat pointed uphill and on firm clay, there were no problems. Each time I tried to turn and dig, I stuck the rear end just enough to need a pull from my tractor to get out. Keep heading into the center and work your way around the pond egdes. As you go around, the sun will keep drying the new exposed area out, so next time around you can go deeper. The Bobcat T770 I used had a lighter footprint than my foot print.
I want a mini track loader of my own now. That thing is amazing!
hugs, Brandi
8-4-12 Bobcat Backing Up In Tilt.jpg8-5-12 Pond driveway side slope.jpg