How do I make a "lawn" out of this?

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #1  

IHDiesel73L

Silver Member
I rented a skid steer mounted brush hog this weekend and reclaimed anywhere from 15-30' on both sides of our long and narrow lot. Stonerows from the neighboring fields mark the lines and over the years the stonerows themselves and the areas immediately around them had become choked with multiflora rose, Russian olive, bittersweet and all kinds of other invasive crap. Along the one property line I am going to be putting in a road so that I can access my pond with a tractor, etc...so all I'll be doing there is putting down stone which is easy enough. Along the other line I would like to grow grass up to the base of the stonerow. Right now it looks like this:

cpQR0y6.jpg

The base of the stonerow is basically the treeline. The stump on the far right is a locust that blew down in a storm two years ago. After I cut most of it up I pushed the stump back over with the tractor bucket and left it there. I'll be borrowing a neighbor's backhoe to rip it out entirely and grade it out. Here is what it looks like further down:

UauyyNy.jpg

I went through and took the chainsaw to roots, small stumps and vines but there are still a lot of small chunks, chopped up stalks and fist to basketball/football sized rocks. What is the best way to start growing grass here? I'm not looking to maintain it like I do our actual "yard"-this area is out behind the fenced in part of the yard and continues back to the pond and beyond that the woods. I'll keep it mowed but on the highest setting my rider will accommodate. I just want to establish grass so that other stuff doesn't start to again take over.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #2  
I'd probably start with a landscape rake or similar to clear as much as possible larger than a pencil. Create small piles if necessary to burn or push off somewhere.

My walk behind brush mower would chew a lot of it up to mulch, but the rocks would have to be cleared first.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #3  
Use your neighbors backhoe to clean it up the best you can. I would bring in a dump truck or two of dirt to smooth/level out what you want.
Call around to your dirt guys. They may have some fill material clean enough to use

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #4  
I would remove wood stumps etc. first than small medium excavator with blade and reshape dirt as you like.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #5  
Planting grass will not by itself prevent the over growth from coming back and it has roots there already. I would also spraying the area some what often with brush killer as you see new growth. Never has used a rock bucket but might be good your need. Keep mowing it and moving it low. We don't have rocks but other than them, have done such many times the last few years, know it is not a one and one but steady hitting it.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #6  
keep diggin the stumps/roots up and rake them out of the way. rocks will rake with the wood and should give you clean ground. ---will take more than 1 attempt to do so keep st it.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #8  
I would suggest - leave all those small rocks exactly where they are. Spray the rock area with weed killer and continue to pull brush, stumps, etc out of the rock area. The "rock area" appears to be too steep for anything to mow anyhow.

Continue to clean up the lower area - remove small sticks, brush, limbs with a landscape rake or similar. Once the lower area is cleared - add dirt if needed.

You have a good start and are doing a fine job. This will be an ongoing project for you.

/ How do I make a "lawn" out of this? #9  
For a lawn there will be a lotta work.

Use a backhoe to go along and dig out stumps and roots and get rid of them.Then scarify the area very well and use the tractor bucket to level things out. Then cultivate the area every week for a month and a half and it may be ready for seed.