How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor?

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #1  

tmc_31

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN70D, NH L190
I have a New Holland TN70D tractor which is a 70 hp gear driven tractor with a full cab and 4WD. It has a FEL with front mounted remotes and a quick attach plate on the fel.

Several years ago I bought a Bradco 3509 3ph backhoe attachment. It worked very well. Now I would like to modify the backhoe attachment so that I can operate it from inside the cab of the tractor.

Has anybody done this. If so what kind of problems did you encounter modifying the hoe (or tractor)?

My guess is that I will have to build some kind of subframe for it (take it off the three point hitch). I will need to remove the seat and control bar from the backhoe so that I can move the horizontal pivot as close to the tractor as possible in order to improve the line of sight from the cab to the bucket (the outriggers may be the limiting factor here). Then rig up some kind of removable control valve set that will lock into the lower window at the rear of the cab. I will also need to install a swivel seat in the cab.

Anybody got any ideas (short of trading it in on a surenuff real backhoe)? It gets hot running that thing in high summer out here in West Texas!!

Thanks,

Tim

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #2  
Use 12 volt valves and just run a wire in through the window.

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor?
Ed, got a picture or a link to the valves you are talking about?

Tim

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #4  
Northern tool has a sample in their catalog, they call them hydraulic solenoid valves. Don't know the valve you need just saying that this type might help. Don't know how to post a link but northerntool.com is where I have seen them.

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #5  
You wont have any control other than full on or full off with electric valves.. I dont think thats a good idea for a backhoe. Is it possible to even spin your seat 180 degrees in the cab ? if not the just leave the hoe the way it is and save your grief for another project.

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #6  
First, I dont think the cab is large enough to put in a swivel seat and getting the control valves in there with you would be hard to do. Likely easier to modify your cab and put on an extension OR just forget about it and sweat it out like I do on my B 26 while the LS Cab with AC sets under the shed. I bought the LS just so I would have an AC in the summer but lately all my work has been on the backhoe, but at least it has a full canopy so if rain or sun is coming straight down or almost straight, it provides protection for everything but my feet. I really dont think I would like to operate a backhoe from the cab as visibility would be an issue.

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor?
The cab will be tight if I use the original seat (I hope to be able to). I think I can attach a swivel plate to the cab floor then attach the seat base to it. It will have to have some locking detentes in it. I may have to climb over the seat once it's locked into position due to the limited space but I think I could live with that. It is possible that I could control the valves with servos and then use something like an RC transmitter to control them. An RC transmitter wouldn't take up much room and be stored easily in the cab. Also, no cabling from the control pack to the transmitter. I could even run the hoe while outside the cab, standing over the hole.

Tim

Tim

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #8  
you could leave the control valves outside (but remove the existing joysticks), just install cable operated joysticks inside the cab like: Surplus Center - JOYSTICK CONTROLLER LEVER W/ SPST SWITCH
its easier to pass cables inside the cab than hydraulic lines...(if you want to use the existing joystick, the hydraulic+valve take a lot of room)

maybe you could replace the outriggers valves for solenoid operated ones and hook them to the switch on the joysticks. (theres couples of solutions there)
i dont know your tractor and dont even know if you have enough room for all of that, but for a clean installation, I would go that route.
you should look for a swivel seat first, maybe you just dont have the room to do this...

EDIT: RC transmitter? hehe you wanna store an airplane controller (futaba, spektrum, etc...) inside the cab bouncing everywhere?, the servos usually work on 6V, you would have to buy a lot of solenoid valves and they arent cheap and also work on 12V (I dont even know what is the amperage draw on them). I'm into RC helicopter and airplane but never though about that, could be fun and really really precise.. you could even program exponential or a fast and slow mode... I see this as a really cool project but expensive in the end.

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #9  
EDIT: RC transmitter? hehe you wanna store an airplane controller (futaba, spektrum, etc...) inside the cab bouncing everywhere?, the servos usually work on 6V, you would have to buy a lot of solenoid valves and they arent cheap and also work on 12V (I dont even know what is the amperage draw on them). I'm into RC helicopter and airplane but never though about that, could be fun and really really precise.. you could even program exponential or a fast and slow mode... I see this as a really cool project but expensive in the end.

he is talking about using RC servos to mechanically control the current valves. not replacing the valve with solinoid controlled ones

/ How do I modify my 3ph backhoe so that I can operate it from the cab of my tractor? #10  
The premise is well beyond what I consider to be practical or useful. The only way you will fit in a reversed seat in a TN cab is if you happen to be a double amputee. There simply willl be no room for your legs below the knee. Sell the Bradco, take the money budgeted for the RC gadgetry and buy a used full size TLB.