How do you clean a fuel storage tank?

   #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,326
Location
3rd Planet from the Sun
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I am going to be acquiring a 200-gallon steel fuel storage tank very soon. It has been used to store off-road diesel for farm equipment. This is exactly what I would use it for. . .to store diesel for my tractor and mower. The previous owner has taken excellent care of it and it looks new. He emptied it and scrubed out the inside with a rag on a long stick and a flashlight. It has a hand pump with it. I will plan to replace the filter element prior to use. Question is, do I need to do anything else to clean it out before refilling? Is there a single "RIGHT" way to clean out a fuel storage tank? Thanks!
 
   #2  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
12,122
Location
Ohio
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
It is probably clean enough. Look in with a flashlight when it's dark outside and you will see any crud. I would probably leave alone.
If you want to clean it you can get a rag and stick and after that put some clean fuel in and roll around and then dump empty till you are happy.

I use a double filter arrangement with a water filter and a separate regular filter and this has worked for me for decades. I add Stanadyne fuel treatment. In thousands of hours of use of many tractors I have never even had to remove an injector.

Oh...yours is probably 300 gallon. Not many 200's around.
 
Last edited:
  
  • Thread Starter
#3  
OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,326
Location
3rd Planet from the Sun
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
sixdogs said:
It is probably clean enough. Look in with a flashlight when it's dark outside and you will see any crud. I would probably leave alone.
If you want to clean it you can get a rag and stick and after that put some clean fuel in and roll around and then dump empty till you are happy.

I use a double filter arrangement with a water filter and a separate regular filter and this has worked for me for decades. I add Stanadyne fuel treatment. In thousands of hours of use of many tractors I have never even had to remove an injector.

Oh...yours is probably 300 gallon. Not many 200's around.

Thanks for the info. That's probably what I'll do.
I know what you mean that most tanks are 300 gal but this appears much smaller than the other tanks I've seen. It has about a 3-foot diameter and is approximately 4-feet long.
 
   #4  

m7040

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
594
Location
Frederick maryland
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
Sounds like a 200 gallon tank which is what I have also. Mine has a handpump mounted on top and works fine. Hurts the pocketbook to fill it up
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#5  
OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,326
Location
3rd Planet from the Sun
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
m7040 said:
Sounds like a 200 gallon tank which is what I have also. Mine has a handpump mounted on top and works fine. Hurts the pocketbook to fill it up

Yeah I calculated its volume. It's right at 200 gallons. Got it basically setup. It's got a handpump. Bought new filter and got a vented lockable fuel cap. I do want to wipe it out once more with the ol' rag-on-a-stick method and probably pump a little diesel through the pump before using. I may eventually get a DC powered fuel pump. But I'm basically ready to go! Now all I gotta do is find the $900 to fill 'er up!!:eek:

Then I'll have to construct a 10-foot tall fence topped with razor wire; install a security system with motion sensors and laser trips; and buy a guard dog!!
 
   #6  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
16,851
Location
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
Glowplug said:
Yeah I calculated its volume. It's right at 200 gallons. Got it basically setup. It's got a handpump. Bought new filter and got a vented lockable fuel cap. I do want to wipe it out once more with the ol' rag-on-a-stick method and probably pump a little diesel through the pump before using.
1* I may eventually get a DC powered fuel pump. But I'm basically ready to go! Now all I gotta do is find the $900 to fill 'er up!!:eek:
2*Then I'll have to construct a 10-foot tall fence topped with razor wire; install a security system with motion sensors and laser trips; and buy a guard dog!!
1*Northern tool has all the Elect. pump you need for $99.
2*I just put mine inside where it's out of sight - out of mind.
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#7  
OP
Glowplug

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,326
Location
3rd Planet from the Sun
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I AM SICK OF THIS HAND PUMP!!!!!
Okay, so I was getting this tank ready to go. I had levelled out a nice spot for it beside my barn with the trusty tractor. Using my loader with pallet forks I gently layed it down with the skids on some 2x4's I had placed there. Then I scrubbed it out again with a rag on a stick. I was going to put a few gallons of diesel in and pump it out to help clean it. So I had to deal with that old hand pump. That's when the ship hit the fan!! First of all, this old hand pump has about 2 mil. of some sort of unidentifiable corroded gunk all over it! When pumping it, it sounds like someone is repeatedly clubbing a baby seal! I lubed it all up but the baby seal keeps suffering. And the threads for the suction pipe are so worn that the whole suction pipe fell into the tank!!:eek: Needless to say that was a sinking feeling. I had to go buy a long steel rod to "fish" it out! So I screwed it back on very firmly. It was on there good this time. After a few more clubs to the baby seal it had worked itself loose again!! After I had put in a few gallons of diesel to help clean it out I could never get any suction on the pump! It would never prime. I think I may go ahead and bite the bullet and order an electric pump from Northern Tool. It's already been in my shopping cart for days. Now all I need to do is push [CHECKOUT]!:D
 
   #9  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
16,851
Location
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
Glowplug said:
I AM SICK OF THIS HAND PUMP!!!!!
Okay, so I was getting this tank ready to go. I had levelled out a nice spot for it beside my barn with the trusty tractor. Using my loader with pallet forks I gently layed it down with the skids on some 2x4's I had placed there. Then I scrubbed it out again with a rag on a stick. I was going to put a few gallons of diesel in and pump it out to help clean it. So I had to deal with that old hand pump. That's when the ship hit the fan!! First of all, this old hand pump has about 2 mil. of some sort of unidentifiable corroded gunk all over it! When pumping it, it sounds like someone is repeatedly clubbing a baby seal! I lubed it all up but the baby seal keeps suffering. And the threads for the suction pipe are so worn that the whole suction pipe fell into the tank!!:eek: Needless to say that was a sinking feeling. I had to go buy a long steel rod to "fish" it out! So I screwed it back on very firmly. It was on there good this time. After a few more clubs to the baby seal it had worked itself loose again!! After I had put in a few gallons of diesel to help clean it out I could never get any suction on the pump! It would never prime. I think I may go ahead and bite the bullet and order an electric pump from Northern Tool. It's already been in my shopping cart for days. Now all I need to do is push [CHECKOUT]!:D
GOT that Pump YET ???????????????????
 
   #10  

SPYDERLK

Super Star Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Messages
10,021
Location
VA
Tractor
JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500
Pressure washer. Wave a turbo nozzle around at the bottom inside for a while. The sides and top dont need any special attention-any sediment will be on the bottom.
larry
 
 
Top