How do you get rid of barn swallows?

/ How do you get rid of barn swallows? #31  
Glow ... in short, somehow, someone convinced you that having barn swallows in your barn was a problem.

You seriously need to adjust your thought process on that. I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking!

Leave the (*837f9*(#W*9( swallows the h3ll alone!

Sheesh

:D:D:D:D:D

/ How do you get rid of barn swallows? #32  
Glowplug said:
I have a rather large (~200' x 40') horse barn. Well, now there's no horses in it. But there are about 2 dozen barn swallows which have made it their home! Admittedly the barn is not in the best shape. One of the doors has basically fallen off as have many of the window shutters so there's plenty of open areas to enter the barn. These birds come around in the spring and nest until the fall. Then they're gone for the winter only to return. I know the best thing would be to just wait until fall and patch up any open access point before next spring but are there any other options? Any advice? I keep my tractor in the barn and these things keep pooping all over it!

<sigh> i would take all 2 dozzen nesting pair in a heart beat. i garentee if you discourge there return youll be sorry by the noticable increase in annoying insects.

Ive done my best to encourge them to nest in my extra outbuildings. Ive had 1 or 2 nesting pairs, but still short of my goal of a dozzen+.

I love to watch them in my front feild shortly after a mow, amazing to watch as they fly and swoop around gobbling up insects.

/ How do you get rid of barn swallows? #34  
Glowplug said:
I have a rather large (~200' x 40') horse barn. Well, now there's no horses in it. But there are about 2 dozen barn swallows which have made it their home! Admittedly the barn is not in the best shape. One of the doors has basically fallen off as have many of the window shutters so there's plenty of open areas to enter the barn. These birds come around in the spring and nest until the fall. Then they're gone for the winter only to return. I know the best thing would be to just wait until fall and patch up any open access point before next spring but are there any other options? Any advice? I keep my tractor in the barn and these things keep pooping all over it!

Send them to Michigan to take care of these:

Attachments

• High Adventure-280.jpg
    High Adventure-280.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 125
   / How do you get rid of barn swallows?
Okay people. I have nothing against the birds as an animal. And I guess the diminished mosquitoe population is a benefit. But I DON'T like my tractor to be covered in bird POOP! I do have a plan in my mind that involves a tarp, rope, and a pulley. It would create sort of a small, form-fitting, tarp garage inside my barn that I could drive my tractor under. Then if I wanted even more protection I could release the ropes and the tarp would cover the tractor entirely. That way my tractor and the swallows could live in harmony. Can't we all just get along? We'll see how it works if I ever get around to doing it!:eek:

/ How do you get rid of barn swallows? #39  
Well this nest is now empty and gone, but the mess live on.

Attachments

• elkhart-birds.JPG
    elkhart-birds.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 179
  • elkhart-birds (1).JPG
    elkhart-birds (1).JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 122
  • elkhart-birds (2).JPG
    elkhart-birds (2).JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 114