How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ?

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #1  

Durbob

Gold Member
Crawdads have taken over my ditch out front where it stays wet and i'm seen signs of moles this week out in the side yard. I remember someone telling what to pour down the Crawdad hole to get rid of them but i can't remember what it was. Also need to get rid of those pesky moles too. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dur

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #3  
Why would you want to get rid of craw dads. You collect them and take them fishing with you as bait.

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #4  
Get rid of crawdads? Eat 'em! They're like miniture lobster! boil them, and dip the tail meat in a little garlic butter... Yum!

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #5  
Eat the crawdads. Delicious!

For burrowing animals we want to get rid of, we expose a tunnel, pour household ammonia into it, then pour chlorine bleach on top of that and immediately cover the hole with something fairly airtight. That mix creates chlorine gas, which being heavier than air drifts down into the burrow and kills whatever it contacts. Even if the animal manages to evade, the burrow is forever after associated with bad karma and becomes a place to be avoided... i.e., they move.

Just be careful once you mix; chlorine is deadly!

Pete

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #6  
I can't find the post now (it seems to have disappeared), but a couple of years ago I asked the same question about crawdads. I never came up with a solution. Any chemical that will get rid of them will also kill grass, trees, shrubs, etc. They are a pain because they make those "chimneys" that get brick hard when they dry, which look bad and are hard on mowers. I never figured out a way to catch them because they stay down in their holes most of the time. I got 2 cats a couple of years ago and they haven't caught any either. Good luck!

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #7  
A net will work. Tie a piece of baloney or bacon on a string and put it near them. They will come out to take a nibble; scoop them up.

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #8  
It was a very slow process, but when I was a kid, we used to tie a little piece of bacon on a string and drop it down in the hole. When they took hold of it, you had to very slowly and carefully pull them to the top; too quick and they'd turn loose, then grab them at the top of the hole.

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #9  
Crawdads come up near to the top of their hole at dusk. I have taken a shovel an dug down fast ( one scoop) and gotten them out that way. Also a cherry bomb down the hole at dusk works pretty good as well. I have heard that dumping lime down the hole will take care of them, but have not tried it. Racoons are the best at getting rid of the crawdads, but they create other problems.

/ How do you get rid of Crawdads and Moles ? #10  
Pete, ammonia and bleach will generate Chloramine not Chlorine gas. Chloramine is a white crystal soluable in water. Add Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) to Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) to generate Chlorine gas.