How Do You Get To 8F/4R.??

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
Gear transmission...How do you get 4 reverse gears with 2 or 3 ranges.??

Such as on the L2800.

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #2  
At a GUESS it is a 4 speed box, with a "2 range box" on forward.

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #3  
Gear transmission...How do you get 4 reverse gears with 2 or 3 ranges.??

Such as on the L2800.

I can't say on a L2800, but on our 2550 JD you have 4 synchronized gears on the right shifter and the left shifter has High range, Low range and Reverse. Low and reverse ranges are in line for shuttling back and forth. I would imagine the Kubota is similar.

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.??
I can't say on a L2800, but on our 2550 JD you have 4 synchronized gears on the right shifter and the left shifter has High range, Low range and Reverse. Low and reverse ranges are in line for shuttling back and forth. I would imagine the Kubota is similar.

So what you are saying is your 2550 has 12 reverse gears, correct.??

The L2800 has 8F/4R.?? The first reply may well be right.?? I still don't fully understand.?? No hi/low range in reverse.?

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #5  

The L2800 has 8F/4R.?? The first reply may well be right.?? I still don't fully understand.?? No hi/low range in reverse.?

Nope, 8 gears forward, 4 reverse.

Attachments

• shift pattern.bmp
    60.7 KB · Views: 214
   / How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #7  

Just exactly that... the range lever has Low, High and Reverse positions, and there are four ratios available on the separate H pattern gear lever. The ratios are well thought out, 4 low is a bit slower than 1 high, etc.

The Kubota isn't synchronized (no shift on the fly without double clutching).

Sean

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #8  

SOME tractors are set up to block out the high range(s) in reverse, SOME are not.
It is simple enough with a 4 x 3 for example to allow only the lowest of the 3 ranges to engage when in reverse - that would give a 12F 4R, which is not uncommon.
12F 8R are also around.
I happen to have 12F 12R on one of my tractors, though I don't think I have ever used any of the highest 4 (high range of High, Medium, Low).
16F 16R shuttle shifts are common too.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to have "road" gears in reverse anyway - and in the US they may well be blocking them for liability reasons (-:

Was your question why or how ?

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #9  
At a GUESS it is a 4 speed box, with a "2 range box" on forward.

This is the correct answer. At least in the case of the L2800 and L3400's.

The shuttle shifter has high low and reverse. The gearshift on the transmission hump itself is 1-2-3-4.

So you can have R1, R2, R3, and R4 for reverse

For forward you have L1, L2, L3, L4, H1, H2, H3, H4. A total of 8 forward speeds.

My only complaint on the L2800 and L3400 tranny and speeds is that Low forward and Reverse aren't the same gear ratios. Meaning that R4 is FASTER than L4, R3 is faster than L3, etc. So when mowing or doing bucket work, where shifting the shuttle shifter from Low to Reverse quite frequently, it is a PITA going faster in reverse at times.

/ How Do You Get To 8F/4R.?? #10  
This is the correct answer. At least in the case of the L2800 and L3400's.

The shuttle shifter has high low and reverse. The gearshift on the transmission hump itself is 1-2-3-4.

So you can have R1, R2, R3, and R4 for reverse

For forward you have L1, L2, L3, L4, H1, H2, H3, H4. A total of 8 forward speeds.

My only complaint on the L2800 and L3400 tranny and speeds is that Low forward and Reverse aren't the same gear ratios. Meaning that R4 is FASTER than L4, R3 is faster than L3, etc. So when mowing or doing bucket work, where shifting the shuttle shifter from Low to Reverse quite frequently, it is a PITA going faster in reverse at times.

My 30 year old JD2240 has the same setup. 8F & 4R and you're right about the reverse speed being different. It's not the same as either High or Low, but rather somewhere in between. I usually operate somewhere between L1 and L3 depending on what I'm doing and reverse is quite a bit faster.