How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used?

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I spent a few hours plowing and disking, now that nicely greased shaft on my tractor is covered with dirt. The older tractors had a cover which screwed over it when not in use, but I haven't seen that in years. Is there something which will slip over it? I searched for PTO shaft cover, but all that comes up is for the drive shaft.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used?
^^^^
Thank you, that's just what I'm looking for. I just ordered two; one for the tractor, the other I will put on a shelf. Thus ensuring that I will never lose the first one.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #4  
I just double-bag it with a plastic grocery bag.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #5  
^^^^
Thank you, that's just what I'm looking for. I just ordered two; one for the tractor, the other I will put on a shelf. Thus ensuring that I will never lose the first one.
Like your strategy. Never fails..:thumbsup:

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #6  
I use rubber hose.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #7  
My 2009 Kubota came with a "cap to shaft" just like BRMyers links to. I finally drove a big spike in one of the timbers in the carport stall to put the cap on when using the PTO. Being black - it was tough to find - just lying around on the ground.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #8  
'nother thing that works.
Grab a handful of axle grease and apply liberally.

---short length of PVC plastic pipe over grease.

For my shaft coupler end I liberally oil it and then bag it to deter water entry, the sliding portion of my PTO shaft gets annual liberal applications of grease as well.

Now for my snow blower. I spray all the shiny bare metal that was sand blasted clean with whatever rattle can paint I have on hand.
The idea being to prevent any rust from forming as snow/ice sure likes to grip on rough (pitted) rusty surfaces.
Not to worry about paint mismatch as the rattle can finish will be gone after your first snow event next winter.

Been doing this for years and never have problems coupling up nor jammed shaft.

I once helped a pal to free a frozen PTO shaft that had rusted up badly.
Took hours, heat and penetrating oil plus pulling apart with tractor and chaining to a tree followed by wire brush and sanding away the rust.
Frankly replacing with a new shaft would have been a better option all considered if we'd priced our labor.

Moral is an ounce of prevention is worth pounds of cure.

Last edited:
   / How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #9  
My Bobcat came with an orange pto cover like the black Kubota one shown above. Just looking at the dim's for sch40 pvc pipe, the 1-1/4 is listed as having a 1.38" ID that would be perfect for a cap for the 1-3/8" pto.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #10  
^^^^

IF you can find the spare. I spend hours looking for my spare parts...and seldom find them. I then buy spares for my spares.