how do you store your welding rods (7018)

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #1  

SCWOOD

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800 Kioti CK2510H
Do you just buy small 1lb pack when needed our keep them in airtight container.What I read online it is recommended to keep 7018 in a rod oven .I did a search but didn't find an answer. Thanks!

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #2  
I keep my low hydrogen welding rod in a rod oven. Other rods, and low hydrogen rod that hasn't been opened yet on the bench.

Attachments

• 300 pound rod oven.jpg
    300 pound rod oven.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Rod 2.jpg
    Rod 2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 235
   / how do you store your welding rods (7018) #3  
On a low end cheap rod storage, an old small fridge with a light bulb left on will keep welding rods dry.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #4  
For years I used an old smoker, with a heat lamp.

Attachments

• Smoker 1.jpg
    Smoker 1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Smoker 2.jpg
    Smoker 2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 200
   / how do you store your welding rods (7018) #5  
I keep mine in airtight container and put packets of desiccant in the container to keep the rod dry. I bought a bunch of packets on ebay, it tells you what air volume each packet will keep dry. When I open the container, if it's humid outside, I take it in the house to try to reduce the amount of humidity that gets in. I've never been able to justify an oven, even though that's the best way to go. I also store my tig filler rods the same way, otherwise they get oxidation on the surface and I can't use them.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #6  
I store my 7018 in the plastic container they are sold in. When I have a lot of welding to do, I throw the rods on top of my wood stove the nite before and the wood stove does a good job of drying them out. I usually just keep a handfull setting on top of the stove all the time. temps was 863 degrees on top of the stove when I checked it a little while ago. House is about half that. wifey likes to fool with the stove.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #7  
There are gasketed screw on top plastic cylinders that we used in the field on a daily basis. On large jobs with many welders we kept open 50# cans in the rod oven. I was on jobs where we used several hundred pounds of 7018 each day so there were always several open 50#ders at the end of the day. Our normal piping job welding procedure used only 6010 and 7018. Each welder had two of those cylinders one for each. They held about 10#. Unless it was raining we could get by about 2-3 days w/o heating. Wet 7018 can produce a lot of porosity due to steam escaping the puddle. Pipeline welders with rigs had a 12 volt hot box on their truck.

Ron, the old Pipefitter.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #8  
How does the supply house keep them before you buy them?