How good is shifting GST under load?

/ How good is shifting GST under load? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I had a kubota 3710 GST several years ago. Have gone to HST since then. Considering a Kubota 4630 GST -if I can get the price I want:thumbsup:. My 3710 did not shift well under load to a different gear. It would nearly stop, then shift and jerk forward. The old GST was 8 gears and the newer versions 12 gears. Does the 12 gear version handle shifts well?

/ How good is shifting GST under load? #2  
The GST transmission disengages hydraulic clutch before changing gears. This is why the tractor slows or comes to stop when gears changed.

It then releases hydraulic clutch when gear change completes. My tractor does it smoothly (L3650GST) but it does slow or stop with gear changes.

/ How good is shifting GST under load? #3  
My L3240GST does slow when shifting but doesnt stop.. Pulling my heavy disc it does slow alot but has never stopped. If you go from 3 to like 8 while pulling it might but I try and go 1----2-----3 giving the thing time to engage and move before going to the next gear. It is really smooth no jerking when going thru the gears.. I dont see a problem with it and like it alot. I was use to a clutch so its way cooler than that...

AndyG

/ How good is shifting GST under load? #4  
My 3130 GST slows down a good bit while shifting under load. I've put over a 1000 hrs on this tractor without one breakdown. It's a bit annoying, but i don't thinks its hurting the tractor.

/ How good is shifting GST under load?
I am a little spoiled by powershifts on ag tractors which are much smoother and more refined than the GST.