How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded?

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #1  

GolfAddict

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020
I can't believe I did this, but I did.

For background, when I use to hunt Muzzle Loader season, if I didn't get a deer that day I would always leave my gun loaded overnight (I'd remove the cap). I know a lot of people say they won't do that, a lot of others say it's fine, but I always did and never had a problem with it. I don't really want to start a pros/cons about that.

So, yesterday I got my muzzle loader out of the safe for the first time in probably close to 10 years. My daughter-in-law would like to try ML season this year and she is going to borrow mine. I'm giving her some basic education, and during the discussion I ran the rod down the barrel. I immediately realized that it was still loaded - I had never fired it, then cleaned it, before storing it away the last time. I know, I know...

I'm not looking for opinions on what an idiot I am. I am wondering what you would do in this situation. Should I just take it outside, put a cap on, and try shooting it? Is there any danger in doing that? Some other course of action you'd recommend?

I appreciate any advice/opinions.

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #2  
What harm can it do to shoot it? I can't see any.

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #3  
I've left mine loaded over several years at a time.... prob not the best for the barrel, but I see no reason for it to be considered dangerous. It's the same powder and projectile you stuffed in there years ago!

In fact, in the state of RI... a muzzle loader is not considered loaded unless there is a primer in place. So, traveling with powder and projectile in the barrel is completely legal.

If it were me, I would try to fire the projectile. If she doesn't come out after 2-3 caps, then you're looking for an extractor. If you've ever had to pull a round out the end of a barrel, you'll understand why i'm suggesting to fire it off first.

If you're worried.... do the ol "arms around a tree" trick for the first cap.

Good Luck!

-J

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded?
What harm can it do to shoot it? I can't see any.

I tend to think the same, but wondering if the powder sitting in there that long could corrode the heck out of the barrel or something?

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded?
I've left mine loaded over several years at a time.... prob not the best for the barrel, but I see no reason for it to be considered dangerous. It's the same powder and projectile you stuffed in there years ago!

In fact, in the state of RI... a muzzle loader is not considered loaded unless there is a primer in place. So, traveling with powder and projectile in the barrel is completely legal.

If it were me, I would try to fire the projectile. If she doesn't come out after 2-3 caps, then you're looking for an extractor. If you've ever had to pull a round out the end of a barrel, you'll understand why i'm suggesting to fire it off first.

If you're worried.... do the ol "arms around a tree" trick for the first cap.

Good Luck!

-J

Well, that's encouraging! Maybe I'll just grow a pair and go try it.

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #6  
Shoot it and give it a good cleaning.

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #7  
Well, that's encouraging! Maybe I'll just grow a pair and go try it.

I have a pretty good feeling it'll go BOOM and you'll wonder why you even doubted it in the first place.

Keep us posted!

-J

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #8  
If it doesn't shoot (it probably will) and has a removable breech plug just remove the plug and push it out.

/ How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #9  
The corrosion is a byproduct of combustion. It's sulfuric acid. Since you didn't fire it......

There would have been exposure to oxygen through the nipple and I suspect that this will make the possibility of it firing, less likely, depending on your priming system. If you are using a hot cap, like a 209 primer, it might fire. It also depends on what type of propellant you have stored in there. Pyrodex is not as stable as black powder. If you have Pyrodex or another, modern propellant, I don't think it will fire.
But either way, if it was loaded properly, I think it relatively safe to try it.

Why don't you post a video....

Last edited:
   / How long can you leave a muzzle loader loaded? #10  
If the gun was clean when it was last loaded, with no burnt powder residue in the barrel, then it will probably be OK. That's assuming it was stored in a dry place.
Try to shoot it if it doesn't work try a CO2 Load Discharger http://www.cabelas.com/product/CO2-Load-Discharger-Kit-and-Replacement-Cartridges/706432.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DCO2%2Bload%2Bdischarger%26x%3D32%26y%3D5&Ntt=CO2+load+discharger&WTz_l=DirectLoad