How long does your truck last ?

/ How long does your truck last ? #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
I see quite a few trucks at auctions with over 200,000 miles on them. Is there anything left when they get to this point? Today a water plant truck in Defiance Ohio sold for1300.00 dollars. Was 13 year old F-250 supercab with 4 wheel drive and 5.4 engine. Was it used up and ready for a new engine and trans. I do not know how long they last. Thank you for any feedback.

/ How long does your truck last ? #2  
I'm driving a '93 1/2 ton Suburban that I paid $6K for 8-9 years ago. Its still worth a couple thousand. It only had about 60K on it when I bought it. It has about 115 on it now. So, about 55K in 8-9 years. It runs. It does what we need it to do.

As for that water plant truck... I've found that many municipal trucks have very low miles for their age. They just sit there idling for years and years and years.

/ How long does your truck last ? #3  
I'm driving a '00 with 222,000 miles. I'm less concerned about miles then rust and age. I'd have bought that truck unless it was a complete rust bucket. I've got a '94 7.3 super duty with about 240,000 miles. I saw a 7.3 at auction with 310,000 miles, but it was a complete rust bucket. A buddy has a truck with 240,000 miles. My truck and my buddy's truck have the original engine and transmission. The 7.3 diesel needed repairs at over 200,000 miles. Back then we were able to buy a running 7.3 for $600 so we swapped it out.

Last edited:
   / How long does your truck last ? #4  
My 1979 Ford Courier has close to 250,000 miles, and still going strong. It would be a sad day if I ever had to part with it.

/ How long does your truck last ?
I'm driving a '93 1/2 ton Suburban that I paid $6K for 8-9 years ago. Its still worth a couple thousand. It only had about 60K on it when I bought it. It has about 115 on it now. So, about 55K in 8-9 years. It runs. It does what we need it to do.

As for that water plant truck... I've found that many municipal trucks have very low miles for their age. They just sit there idling for years and years and years.

Thank you for reminding of the mileage vs. hours thing. I bought a truck for the motor when I was in high school. Later found it was a low mileage engine ,but it came out of a cemetery. Lot of hours sitting running the heater and not moving.

/ How long does your truck last ? #6  
I saw a garbage truck that had the service records written on the side. 32,000 miles and 2,700 hours.

/ How long does your truck last ? #7  
Thank you for reminding of the mileage vs. hours thing. I bought a truck for the motor when I was in high school. Later found it was a low mileage engine ,but it came out of a cemetery. Lot of hours sitting running the heater and not moving.

And that Suburban I am talking about was a former fire department vehicle. Hence the 60K miles after 15 years.

/ How long does your truck last ? #8  
My 2006 Ford F150 5.4 triton super crew 4X4 has 118,000.It has had its issues,rear end gears went out,replaced both manifolds,Spark plugs and a few other doodads.Other than that a pretty decent truck.I did buy it used with 40,000 miles on the OD back in 2012 for $18,000.

Attachments

• DSCN0203.JPG
    DSCN0203.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
   / How long does your truck last ? #9  
have a 2004 gmc 2500 hd 4 x 4 with around 212000 never really any major issue just a rear mainseal leak

/ How long does your truck last ? #10  
Sold my my 2003 Tahoe Z71 with 298,000 miles on it (back in 2013), only major repair was a rebuilt transmission at 147,000 miles. Its still running. I simply followed the scheduled maintenance. Rust will likely be the down-fall of this vehicle.