How many pony hp to spin 30hp?

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #1  

Shadow99

Silver Member
Tractor
Pasquali 993 w/FEL, Economy2414 w/FEL
I've got an early 70's 2cyl 30hp diesel (no glow plugs), that can really work the 12v starter hard during cold NE winter starts, even using a heating pad on the air intake pipe & oil pan, plus a battery charger on a timer, to keep it up to snuff.
An older neighbor (in his late 70's), has a 1950's JD that uses a small gas pony motor to spin over the diesel, till it kicks. Works every time.
I'd like to know if anyone knows how many pony engine hp it takes to spin over, a certain amount of diesel hp?
Thanks,
Shadow

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #2  
It's all about the gear ratios and how you are going to connect and clutch the putt motor (or pony motor). Your electric starter motor does not have a great deal of horsepower but it does have a tremendous gear reduction by nature of a small pinion gear riding against a relatively large ring gear. What an electric motor does have that a gas internal combustion engine lacks, is the ability to produce it's maximum torque almost immediately after it starts spinning.
A better question might be; how much torque does a pony engine need to turn over a 2 cylinder 30hp diesel in cold weather, and how can I effectively connect it to the tractors engine to facilitate starting?
Your neighbours old JD was designed to start off the pony motor and that is a serious difference.

btw: go Very easy with starting fluid if you should happen to use it, Ether starting fluid is very hard on an engine and actually increases the amount of force needed to turn the engine over. I have used WD-40 in place of stating fluid and that works (btw: WD-40 is largely made from petroleum distillate)
When using starter fluids, the goal is only to enrich the volatility of the air going into your engine, you don't want the engine literally running off pure starter fluid, even for a few seconds.

More battery reserve is probably a better way to go, just don't over-heat your starter motor or that will cook it. Let the starter motor cool between attempts. Heating you engine oil to make it thinner is the best quick-start method and even a propane torch, camping heater, corn cooker, portable BBQ or anything else that produces heat will work :| obviously take care not to burn your tractor to the ground trying to heating it up.

and good luck :snowman:

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #3  
I would suggest 0/30 0r 0/40 full synthetic oil as a starter.
Then a good heat source like a block heater.
Heating the intake air will help.
Magnetic heaters unfortunately are not very good.
They do sell small very compact ceramic heaters (1000watts) that could be directed at the engine that would work nicely I think. Generally found on sale about $25-$35.

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #4  
I would suggest 0/30 0r 0/40 full synthetic oil as a starter.
Then a good heat source like a block heater.
Heating the intake air will help.
Magnetic heaters unfortunately are not very good.
They do sell small very compact ceramic heaters (1000watts) that could be directed at the engine that would work nicely I think. Generally found on sale about $25-$35.

Add a tarp over the engine and it will work even better.

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #5  
Most of the pony motors I've seen, are water cooled, so they use the "mains" water, which means as the pony runs, it's warming up the main, making it start easier...

BTW, blowing a hair dryer in the intake of your diesel will make it start easier in the winter too...the hotter the better.

SR

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #6  
What is the make, model and bolt pattern on that starter? We can find something that will wail that diesel over so fast it will have to slow down to idle rpms.

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #7  
It wouldn't take much HP if you can spin up a big rotating mass (like a baler flywheel) and roll the motor through your pto output shaft with the proper coupler. With a over-running clutch, the big motor would take off and leave the pony starter on its own to spin down. Using a winter blend fuel won't hurt you either.

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #9  
Why all these hacked up behind the barn farmer fixes? Just do a proper safe update with a block heater, higher powered starter, larger battery cables and a higher CCA battery.

/ How many pony hp to spin 30hp? #10  
If your tractor has power steering, turn the steering wheel back and forth a bit while cranking the engine. It helps to unload the engine , for reasons I don't recall. But, it can work !