How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #1  

bihawkbandit

Tractor
New Holland 24TC, Simplicity Sunstar 20
I have a TC24 that was having a mid PTO safety switch issue preventing the tractor from starting. I already have the seat switch bypassed. Now i'm trying to see what else is preventing the tractor from starting - I thought it was just the seat bypass coming loose. Its got power to the dash but the starter wont do anything.

My question is how many safetys can I bypass at one time?

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #2  
I don't have much experience with the smaller TCs. If your TC is like the larger TCs, the safety switches allow the tractor to turn over but shut off the fuel solenoid so it won't start. Try touching a hot wire to the starter to see if it starts. If it does, it is probably not a safety switch issue. I would be looking for an electrical issue like a loose connection or bad ground, the ignition switch gone bad, blown fuse, or bad relay.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24
Do you mean taking a wire direct from the battery positive to the starter hot terminal (with the key in run position? I'll look over the wiring tomorrow with the seat off which is how I got it to start last time. Could have been a loose /bad wire.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #4  
Safety switches on the seat, pto(s), neutral, brake... Not sure what else. If the fuse (#2 on the bigger TCs) blows, then no crank.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #5  
I have used a jumper cable to go from the positive terminal to the starter before to test it. Since the ignition switch is exposed to the elements I have had to replace mine in the past when it would not crank.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24
So I went out today and removed the seat bracket. Both safety switches under there looked good ( one on the shifter side and one on the 4wd and the PTO raise and lower side). Took a jumper cable and went from the pos battery terminal right to the pos stud on the starter with the key in the run position and NOTHING- no starter sounds or clicks or sparks or anything. However after doing this when I turned the key all the way the tractor tried to start. Battery was 12.2ish so the tractor starter with a jump. While running used a battery tester and it showed the system was charging fine. Used tractor for an hour or so with zero issues. After shutting down tested the battery and shows good for a 400 cranking amp battery.
So I have a starter problem? No rush for now but once the snow hits it'll be a lot more important for this start on demand.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #7  
NH had an issue with internal corrosion at the factory battery terminals. It would allow voltage to pass but not amps, so using a volt meter didn't detect it. If using the jumper cable to bypass the factory battery cable worked, that may be the issue. Changing the cables should be a simple process. I got mine from O'Reilly's instead of paying the NH price.

/ How many safety switches can be shorted on a TC24 #8  
So I went out today and removed the seat bracket. Both safety switches under there looked good ( one on the shifter side and one on the 4wd and the PTO raise and lower side). Took a jumper cable and went from the pos battery terminal right to the pos stud on the starter with the key in the run position and NOTHING- no starter sounds or clicks or sparks or anything. However after doing this when I turned the key all the way the tractor tried to start. Battery was 12.2ish so the tractor starter with a jump. While running used a battery tester and it showed the system was charging fine. Used tractor for an hour or so with zero issues. After shutting down tested the battery and shows good for a 400 cranking amp battery.
So I have a starter problem? No rush for now but once the snow hits it'll be a lot more important for this start on demand.
Try holding the key in the start position (or jumping the starter) and tapping on the starter with a hammer.