How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit?

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
So I’ve got a 30x40x11 high woodworking shop. The building is well insulated and doesn’t get terribly hot. The humidity is the real killer. It’s unenjoyable to work in in the summer months so it’s pretty much only used over the winter. So if I had a mini split unit and a smart thermostat that I could turn on an hour before I planned on working would it make a big difference in that timeframe? I’ve tried a dehumidifier but the heat off the unit raises the temperature in the sealed building more than it helps.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #3  
I recently installed a 1&1/2 ton Mr Cool in my 20'x 40' hunting camp and it cools it with no problem but it only has 8' ceilings for your situation you are going to want to go bigger, mine was the DIY model and was really pretty easy to do, I believe you will be well pleased with a properly sized mini split.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #4  
So I’ve got a 30x40x11 high woodworking shop. The building is well insulated and doesn’t get terribly hot. The humidity is the real killer. It’s unenjoyable to work in in the summer months so it’s pretty much only used over the winter. So if I had a mini split unit and a smart thermostat that I could turn on an hour before I planned on working would it make a big difference in that timeframe? I’ve tried a dehumidifier but the heat off the unit raises the temperature in the sealed building more than it helps.

How do you define "doesn’t get terribly hot."??
By "well insulated" is that against just heat or heat and moisture?
Your about 100 miles north of me. My uninsulated sheds routinely get to 95 during the summer.
If you want to control humidity you need to do it 24/7.
Reads like you need a unit with the coils and motor outside. A minisplit would probably be ideal.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #5  
that is a long way for 1 evaporator to push air. especially for dehumidification. maybe 1 at each end. either 2 inside units with 1 outside unit or possibly just cheaper to go with 2 complete units. you know 2 smaller units. you only dehumidify the air that crosses the coils.
i agree it needs to be 24/7 for dehumidification.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit?
How do you define "doesn’t get terribly hot."??
By "well insulated" is that against just heat or heat and moisture?
Your about 100 miles north of me. My uninsulated sheds routinely get to 95 during the summer.
If you want to control humidity you need to do it 24/7.
Reads like you need a unit with the coils and motor outside. A minisplit would probably be ideal.

The moisture is coming from the air. It never gets hotter than the ambient temperature usually a little cooler.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #7  
You can get mini-splits up to 48,000 btu that I know of, quite likely even higher.
One of those with 2 or 3 heads will make a heck of a difference.
One of my 36,000 btu units has an 18,000 btu interior unit and two 9,000 btu units.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #8  
Cheaper route to go rather than multiple head or mutiple unit mini-splits might be a 'package' unit. Everything (compressor/evaporator) comes in a single unit that sits on a pad outside. You basically plug it into power, connect a thermostat and run it.

GPC1536H41 - 3 Ton 15 Seer Goodman Package Air Conditioner

You would have to run a small amount of duct work, it has to have a supply duct and return duct run to it......but that is fairly easy in a wide open shop situation. Run the supply up a wall about the middle of the shop long wall, and simply let it blow out at ceiling, or run a short T and let it blow toward both ends (you could add the T later as you see how it performs). The return would be a real short duct run from down low on the inside wall to the unit sitting just outside.

The big advantage of mini-splits is not having to run any duct work....and you can get far better SEER ratings. But when you start looking at the price difference, given the amount of time you might use the unit, you may well find one of these is a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Also, since this a wood shop, you're gonna generate a lot of 'fine' dust....even with a good dust collector. The package unit would have a pretty easy to access air filter in the return down where you'd be more likely to inspect and change it versus the little screen filters on mini-split units on the inside head. That fine dust is gonna play heck on the coils on an evaporator if you don't keep it out. I was envisioning a 'double' return where I'd mount two filters side by side feeding into the return to give me a lot more filtration and return air movement. The wood furnace I have in the shop center has a plenum box built on the back with a filter mounted in it, and that filter I have to change REAL regular in the winter time when I'm working in the shop or it plugs plumb up.

I've considered the same for my shop...it's 35x75, with the main part inside open to 60' length. Has 8' side walls, then the ceiling slopes up at the first angle to a flat ceiling at 13', then back down the other side the same. On the upper side (opposite), the wall is cinder block below grade for 4-5' of the 8' vertical wall. Perfect spot to plug in a package unit sitting just outside, short return duct, and not too much supply duct either....up the 45 degree slope inside, run a T on the flat ceiling blowing toward either end of the open part.

enhance

enhance

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #9  
I have a 30x40x10 shop with a 24,000 btu mini split and I have no trouble heating and cooling. My building is two years old and well insulated. My unit is a Mr. Cool DIY unit from Home Depot and I installed it myself with no problems.

/ How much cooling power can I expect from a mini split ac unit? #10  
I am just finishing up my 28' x 38' (9' ceiling) very well insulated shop that consists of three rooms, 24' x 28', 14' x 12', and 14' x 16'. All rooms are cooled/heated from a single mini split head in the larger room. So far it's only got into the low 80's but just running it continuously in low "dehumidify" mode (not even "cool") gets it too cold so I have to turn it off or change to cool mode with the temp set at 73 or more. So yes I believe a single head mini split will do a great job for you. Mine is a Carrier (I don't have the models of the outside and head units handy) but professionally installed.