How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best..

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
If you want to build a 20 by 40 pole barn, what kind should you build, and what should it cost? Is metal or wood better, and where can you get the materials or is a prefab cost the same considering time and effort...

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #2  
Open or enclosed? Free span or not? Concrete floor, rock, dirt?

I built a 24X36 that was basically just posts in the ground and a metal roof for $3,000 at the end of last year.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best..
Open or enclosed? Free span or not? Concrete floor, rock, dirt?

I built a 24X36 that was basically just posts in the ground and a metal roof for $3,000 at the end of last year.
Good point, I need it for my tractors, so open, and I can pour concrete as its over an acre of open area, so trucks can get in. But what is 'free span'...??

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #4  
Posts in the middle or not. I opted for posts. That saved the expense of trusses and less square footage for roofing materials. My posts are set in a 12'x12' grid, with a 1/12 pitch front to back. I have added some bracing and graveled under it since this was taken. There was some controversy on my framing job on here, so some will probably advise better ways to frame the roof than what you see here. This works well enough for me.

20211120_150459.jpg

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #5  
If you want to build a 20 by 40 pole barn, what kind should you build, and what should it cost? Is metal or wood better, and where can you get the materials or is a prefab cost the same considering time and effort...
That’s like asking “what flavor of ice cream is best”?

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #6  
A lot will depend on how much time, labor and equipment you have available to raise the structure. Buying the materials and building your own would be cheapest. You then have the ability to select the materials you prefer, and those suitable for your location, assuming you can get them.

Prefab is the next cheapest approach but still requires the necessary labor and equipment.

Where I live, it's hard to beat outfits like Pioneer Pole Buildings for price and labor savings. Their website may give you ideas and prices which will of course vary with location:

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #8  
My build two years ago;24x32x12' with 6/12 trusses,five windows ,man-door,12/10' over head door,metal roof and sides ,poles on 8' centers;Amish labor $2500 ,totaled $13k,no concrete.
Note;engineered trusses and regular lumber(not Amish).
We did the site work and drilled the holes,un-loaded the trucks.Build time was 2-1/2 days.

Posts in the middle or not. I opted for posts. That saved the expense of trusses and less square footage for roofing materials. My posts are set in a 12'x12' grid, with a 1/12 pitch front to back. I have added some bracing and graveled under it since this was taken. There was some controversy on my framing job on here, so some will probably advise better ways to frame the roof than what you see here. This works well enough for me.

View attachment 737550
But how do you support it in the middle with no poles??

A lot will depend on how much time, labor and equipment you have available to raise the structure. Buying the materials and building your own would be cheapest. You then have the ability to select the materials you prefer, and those suitable for your location, assuming you can get them.

Prefab is the next cheapest approach but still requires the necessary labor and equipment.

Where I live, it's hard to beat outfits like Pioneer Pole Buildings for price and labor savings. Their website may give you ideas and prices which will of course vary with location:

Checking their site, lets see if gives me ideas...