Rotary Cutter How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch?

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I usually adjust my brush hog (Woods BrushBull 600) slip clutch at the start of the mowing season each year. I know it works then as I can smell and see burning clutch when hitting a rock or other uncuttable object. I sometimes go a month without using the mower (I use a flail as well). Today I used it and stalled the tractor as well as making a heck of a racket when I tried to mow a boulder sticking up about six inches in high grass. No smoke, no clutch smell.

I assume the clutch has rusted as the mower lives outdoors. I figured that a month in mid summer with only a few rainy days would not require adjusting the clutch again. How often do you guys adjust your slip clutches?

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #2  
I read a while back that someone else posted the same frequency that you posted - once a season. I suppose if in doubt, check it out.

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #3  
First consideration is storage, second is frequency of usage. For those that keep their implements in a shed or equivalent, the maintenance requirement might even be optional. But I'm inclined to believe that the majority slip clutch implements spend most of their lives outdoors. For them a minimum annual slip clutch maintenance should be performed before first use in the spring. When adjusted properly, subsequent usage should keep the discs and plates freed up. Owners in the rust belt might need to do it a little more often, but - it all depends upon conditions while idle AND frequency of usage.

//greg//

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #4  
every year at beginning of cuttin season..

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch?
Soundguy said:
every year at beginning of cuttin season..

That is what I have been doing but after adjusting this Spring and knowing it worked, I have now stalled when hitting a rock rather than slipping. ???

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #7  
been rainy? rusty?

Soundguy said:
been rainy? rusty?

Not much rain really. Doesn't look rusty and has a plastic cover.

I may just loosen the bolts half a turn and see what happens.

/ How often do you adjust your rotary cutter slip clutch? #9  
if it stalled you.. loosen it till it slips.. tighten a bit and slip some more.. then tighen it up til it no longer slips at regualr and regular+ load.. buit not so much that it WON'T slip at all :)

Soundguy said:
if it stalled you.. loosen it till it slips.. tighten a bit and slip some more.. then tighen it up til it no longer slips at regualr and regular+ load.. buit not so much that it WON'T slip at all :)

Yep. That is the plan.