How tight do you hitch your rotary?

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H Deere 5105
I saw something somewhere recently that suggested connecting the 3pt stabilizers loose (or in the slots on telescoping stabiliers) so the rotary cutter can move around if you hit something. I've always hitched it tight so it won't move around. Sometimes I mow close to fences or tree cages and I often back up. What do you do?

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #2  
I always set mine as tight as it can reasonably be. Our field is hilly and I don't want that thing working up a head of steam swinging to the other side as I come over to the opposite slope.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #3  
I would get mine tight side to side and not use a top link.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #4  
I want as little play side to side as possible, without binding. The of the 3Pt of my ratary has an extra piece to have free play in the top link. I have even seen some set ups with a short piece of chain attached to the top link.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #5  
I’ve almost always ran mine in the slotted holes.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #6  
My bottom links are reasonably tight, less than half inch of play.
My top link set up ..... I have two pieces of iron with a hole in the top and hole in the bottom of each side. I connect the tractor top link to the the top holes with a pin. The top of the mower is attached to the bottom of the plates with another pin. It has worked fine like this for decades, allowing upward motion of the deck, and downward motion of the deck, floating when it needs to, in rough round or hilly ground or whacking something.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary?
My rotary has a pivoting piece in the linkage that connects to the top link. Lets me back up to a bank and the mower will pivot up in the back without stressing anything. The land I mow is uneven so I specifically looked for that feature. I usually set it up so the link is pivoted some when on flat ground as that allows the mower to tip down when the rear wheels are on a hump.

Thanks for the replies.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #8  
My 20-year-old Bush Hog rotary cutter has the A-frame that attaches to the 3-point hinged at the bottom, with a chain at the top that goes back toward the rear of the deck. Here's a picture of the same model I found on the Internet:

img.jpg

I set the top link so the chain gets tight when I back over a bank or ditch, but otherwise it just rides on the rear wheel. Works perfectly. I have no idea why Bush Hog changed to a more complex design.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #9  
I would get mine tight side to side and not use a top link.

I do that.

For years I used a top link and chain down to the back castor wheel, then one year I did away with it and realized how better the cut was and still be able to pick the bushhog up to clear obstacles. It really follows the contours of the ground better.

/ How tight do you hitch your rotary? #10  
here is a photo on my old and rebuilt mower

Attachments

• nra irs - 1.jpg
    nra irs - 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126