How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #1  

airbiscuit

Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
I have a neighbor with a few alpacas and sheep. The weather for the last two weeks has been brutally cold with lows ob -10 to -20 and rarely above 0 during the day. She has an enclosed metal shed that got very cold. I offered to give her my 80,000 btu propane construction heater, but she was reluctant to do that. This is her first year with that shed.

Are there any inexpensive to take the edge off these brutal cold snaps? Would hard wiring 4-6 heat lamps in the rafters provide radiant heat that would give them some comfort? Do you have other suggestions? She doesn't have much $$$ to spend on this.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #2  
I doubt heat lamps from that distance would help very much. And that’s quite a bit of electric. You’d definitely notice the hit on the electric bill. I’d guess using a radiant gas heater which doesn’t fit the low cost install bill or fewer heat lamps at a closer distance would be better. If my math is right it would cost $3.5 a day to run six 250 watt lights at $0.12 kWh electric.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #3  
It seems that no one with these issues EVER has money! Frustrating. Maybe they shouldn't have animals.

Giving them shelter from the wind is at least a start, albeit a very important one. Deep straw bedding should help a lot too.

Some times I have tried to help animals and they just don't have the ability to realize what is good for them.

Does warm drinking water help raise core temperature?

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #4  
Unfortunately, the metal shed draws the cold. All it is able to do is possibly keep them out of the wind.
A wood shelter would be a much warmer shelter for the animals.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #5  
Wouldn't sheet metal actually reflect back body heat?

In fact, probably someone here knows. Does cold sheet metal reflect IR heat?

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed
Unfortunately, the metal shed draws the cold. All it is able to do is possibly keep them out of the wind.
A wood shelter would be a much warmer shelter for the animals.

True that! She moved the animals to her son's wooden shed and it was noticeably warmer.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #7  
Most wood barns aren’t air tight. I’m going to say the metal building would be better simply because it’ll likely block more wind.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #8  
It seems that no one with these issues EVER has money! Frustrating. Maybe they shouldn't have animals.

Giving them shelter from the wind is at least a start, albeit a very important one. Deep straw bedding should help a lot too.

Some times I have tried to help animals and they just don't have the ability to realize what is good for them.

Does warm drinking water help raise core temperature?

They shouldn't have animals IMO if they are not prepared to properly care for them. Unfortunately, many people have animals and don't plan to care for them. Shame.

Getting some thick straw bedding in the shed with them would go a long way.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed
She is pretty good to her animals. This cold snap was longer than is typical, That said, she did move them top a warmer building. I am just asking about how to improve for the future. What about a ventless icehouse heater? Flame and bedding and animals are always a concern.

/ How to Best Add a Little Heat to an Animal Shed #10  
Heat costs, no matter how you factor it. Insulation, so the animals can utilize their own heat is the better bet. Turn their food into heat, and you may be able to adjust for a higher calorie diet as well.