How to catch 11 gallons of oil?

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #1  

kfriis

Tractor
none yet
Hi all -

Sorry if this is obvious to most, but what is the best way to catch almost 11 gallons of oil during an hydraulic oil change? I really don't have good clearance under the tractor to put anything more than a 5 gallon bucket (and even that is so tight that it would be hard to get the bucket out from under the tractor once it is full).

What obvious solution am I missing here?

Any other tips for a someone during a complete oil change on a new TYM 574 for the first time? E.g. I know the hydraulic oil filter is on real, real tight, so I have assembled an assortment of oil filter wrenches to hopefully tackle that issue.

Thanks!

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #3  
If you don't already have one, a cheap plastic tote that you can buy at Walmart will hold 11 gallons and more. It would make too much of a mess to try to use multiple 5 gallon buckets.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #4  
I got an old cut down blue(45gal) barrel from a neighbor that they had used for weeds in the garden.

I drilled a hole in it at the bottom and put in a 1/4" pipe fitting to empty it.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #5  
Connect an open ended hydraulic hose to a loader or rear remote quick connect fitting. Pump the majority of the oil into buckets using a control valve to start and stop the flow. Use a smaller pan to drain the housings after draining the system using the pump and hose.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #6  
I would be swapping two 2.5 gal buckets under the tractor and fill two 5 gallon pails with them.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #7  
I use these - I bought 2. I only have 8 gallons so I fill one then swap out the other. It works fine snd no mess. I do it on a concrete floor so it’s easy to slide back and forth.

IMG_1240.JPG

MoKelly

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #8  
Swapping buckets while the oil is draining is prone to messy mistakes.

I got a large oil drain container (link below). It slides easily under my tractor, leaves enough room above it so I can loosen the drain plug with it in place, and it holds more than enough oil. To transfer oil to smaller containers, put it up on boxes or milk crates or the tractor's loader bucket.

/ How to catch 11 gallons of oil? #10  
Swapping buckets while the oil is draining is prone to messy mistakes.

I got a large oil drain container (link below). It slides easily under my tractor, leaves enough room above it so I can loosen the drain plug with it in place, and it holds more than enough oil. To transfer oil to smaller containers, put it up on boxes or milk crates or the tractor's loader bucket.

I hate Amazon Canada sometimes, $217 here! But hey, free delivery! /s