How to compost 107 dead hogs

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
That was interesting. Makes you think about compost in a whole new light. I assume those were wild pigs.

Probably not what Disney was thinking when they referred to the Circle of Life in the Lion King movie.

MoKelly
Those definitely aren't wild pigs, wild pigs are very hairy and I've never seen one that was pink/white. Black and white spots is the closest I've seen in a feral pig. I would bet they were some of the CAFO pigs that were "euthanized" during Covid because the processors shut down. Note that they're all roughly the same size. Wild herds that size would have everything from babies to 300 pound sows.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Those definitely aren't wild pigs, wild pigs are very hairy and I've never seen one that was pink/white. Black and white spots is the closest I've seen in a feral pig. I would bet they were some of the CAFO pigs that were "euthanized" during Covid because the processors shut down. Note that they're all roughly the same size. Wild herds that size would have everything from babies to 300 pound sows.

Thanks. Makes sense - I bet you are correct.

MoKelly

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610 G series w/turfs
Just a big pork salad getting tossed. They never talked about any odors from the pile. They just said it was a nice breezy day. HA!

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
That was interesting. Makes you think about compost in a whole new light. I assume those were wild pigs.

Probably not what Disney was thinking when they referred to the Circle of Life in the Lion King movie.

MoKelly
Very obviously NOT wild pigs!

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
At the beginning of the video it states they composted 107 pigs due to Covid. It was really a waste, they could have kept them alive a while longer and just had bigger animals to process.

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
... I would bet they were some of the CAFO pigs that were "euthanized" during Covid because the processors shut down. ...
Yep. They said they are experimenting with ways to deal with them. Also, this method could be used if there's an outbreak of disease on a farm.

Some of our state highway department garages have compost bins to deal with roadkill. They cover them in sawdust.

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
At the beginning of the video it states they composted 107 pigs due to Covid. It was really a waste, they could have kept them alive a while longer and just had bigger animals to process.
No place to keep them I guess. They clog up the processing chain.