How to disconnect backup alarm?

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #11  
IIRC there was a study about backup alarms that seemed to indicate because the sound was similar or the same from most alarms that after a while workers tended to ignore them on the work site, seems they faded into the background noise. There was an ongoing study to use different frequency sounds to get someones attention rather than the familiar beep beep. In crowded work sites with many vehicles working at the same time it becomes harder and harder to determine where the sound of a backup alarm is coming from. Manufacturers are now producing multi-frequency alarms that are easier to differentiate from background noise and give a better indication of the direction of the vehicle that is backing up.

Here is an example of a automatically varying volume alarm that senses ambient noise level and adjusts itself. Vehicle Safety Light| LED Lights - Peterson Manufacturing Company And multi frequency alarms ECCO | Warning Lights

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #12  
Scotty and Tim, I agree up to a point. Meanwhile I have to enforce the rules as they are, even though they may not be based on facts but ideas. Maybe, just maybe, the bureaucrats that write the rules will realize that the better approach with some of our new technology is to make the alarms a proximity type that only act when someone is near the danger point. Maybe even louder as it closes the distance. Again that is my idea not based on facts or research. I am against the "Safety Nazi" approach but I am conscious of keeping my employees safe and send them home at night all in one piece.

Ron

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #13  
Yeah, OSHA requires that noise level....but what about hearing damage? :( Oh yeah, wear earplugs to protect your ears :duh:

/ How to disconnect backup alarm?
OK, I fixed it. The horn turns out to be a square plastic trumpet type mounted under the BH swing pivot. Easy to look at and even to touch, but near impossible to unbolt....and the consequences of cutting a wire didn't seem worth risking.
So I took the simple approach and stuffed an old sock in it and held it in with a strip of Gorilla tape across the open end.
Bingo! Problem solved! Total time about 2 minutes and cost near nothing. Probably take less than a minute to reverse it. I thought the sock might muffle or reduce the sound, but to my surprise it completely silenced that annoying and - IMHO - attention-robbing beep.
rScotty

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #15  
OK, I fixed it. The horn turns out to be a square plastic trumpet type mounted under the BH swing pivot. Easy to look at and even to touch, but near impossible to unbolt....and the consequences of cutting a wire didn't seem worth risking.
So I took the simple approach and stuffed an old sock in it and held it in with a strip of Gorilla tape across the open end.
Bingo! Problem solved! Total time about 2 minutes and cost near nothing. Probably take less than a minute to reverse it. I thought the sock might muffle or reduce the sound, but to my surprise it completely silenced that annoying and - IMHO - attention-robbing beep.
rScotty

Maybe add some plastic wrap over the trumpet and sock to keep water out?

/ How to disconnect backup alarm? #16  
Backup alarms aren't required on equipment used on your own property. OSHA rules only come into play on a construction project where licensed contractors operate. If you work your tractor commercially, then OSHA rules apply to operation.

None of my tractors have back up alarms, but my brother in law had one installed on his tractor when he bought it, mostly I think to try to scare the cows away when he is backing up but they are too stupid to move in most instances especially if he has a bale of hay on the hay spear.