How to engage 5740c PTO

/ How to engage 5740c PTO #1  

jturpin

Bought a Montana 5740c last fall and used it through the winter. Now I am ready to bush hog today and have never ran the PTO. Hooked up the cutter and ready to cut... Nope! My PTO comes on and shears the pin. Idle down at the lowest point of 750rpm. Sheared 5 pins with no luck and I gave up, Any suggestions?

/ How to engage 5740c PTO #2  
Add a clutch or harden pin. I went with a harden pin.

/ How to engage 5740c PTO #3  
We installed a grade 8 pin and a slip clutch...that was 7 years ago with no problems. Bought slip clutch at Tractor Supply, it was reasonable and easy to install.

/ How to engage 5740c PTO #4  
I sheered several pins back in 2005 when I first bought my 5740C when I engaged my PTO to brushhog my pastures. Ever since then, what I do id]s just idle the tractor as low as I can, then engage the PTO switch and ater its engaged, I raise the idle to mowing RPMs. Not a problem since then in all these 14 years.

/ How to engage 5740c PTO #5  
100% agreed with Unclebuck257 I also have a slip clutch and have never had a problem. I guess it is due to the electrical type control these tractors PTO seem to abruptly start, and stop so I idle as low as the tractor will go anytime I start/stop the PTO.