How to feel like a fool.

/ How to feel like a fool. #1  

ToadHill

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac
Well the snowblower arrived last Friday. It's a real beauty 75" Meteor ( made in Canada). When I lifted it off the trailer with the FEL and set it down I noticed it had a Hydro operated chute control. I told the owner of the dealership that I ordered the one with the manual control. He said he knew but this is the one the factory sent him "sooooo" It was mine at no additional charge.

Next morning I went to hook it up and see how it worked. Well the 3pt. hitch won't lift it off the ground. I know the lift capacity on the DK35 is over 2200lbs, so I call the dealer to see how much the unit weighed. He said about 750 lbs. The pump just makes strange sounds when trying to lift.

I call the dealer again and he talks to the service manager who said the control for the remote hydro unit could be stuck and in one of the on positions. I check that and found that it is "OK".

So I call the dealer again and make arrangements to have him pick up the tractor as something is wrong with the 3 pt. system. He said he has a delivery in my area in a few days and will pick up the tractor and return it for $50. About 28 miles each way which I think is a heck of a deal.

I am telling the story to the neighbor when he stopped over and he said lets look at the tractor. He takes one look and tells me I have the down arms from the 3 pt. hitch hooked up wrong. The lift arms have 3 holes in them, 2 right near the pivot end of the arm and one about 1/2 way down the arm between the pivot point and lift point.

Well to make a long story shorter, I told him the lift arms are in the same position that they came from the dealer 2 years ago when I got the tractor. So we moved them to the outer most hole and the snowblower comes off the ground like it weighs nothing.

I called the dealer back to cancel the pick up and told him what I found. I mentioned that the manual never mentioned the correct hole to put the down arms in so I left them where he had then. I guess it just goes to show you that you can't trust those Korean manual writers, or the dealer assemblers.

/ How to feel like a fool. #2  
Afternoon Paul,
Well glad you got it all figured out ! ;) I wouldnt feel too bad about that, Ive done a lot dumber stuff than that which Id rather not discuss! :)

/ How to feel like a fool. #3  
Heck.. all it cost you was...oh wait NOTHING. That's the best price to pay for experience. Congrats! Like Scott says...we have all done MUCH dumber things... I even know someone who pulled the trigger on an electric weedeater...in the rain, standing in 3" of water:eek: .... Let's say it was shocking and teenagers don't always think first...

/ How to feel like a fool. #4  
Yes ToadHill we all do things like that and I can't really see how it was your fault or stupidity on your part. When it came from the dealer that way you would naturally think that's the way it should be.
Good luck with that snowblower, sounds like a great unit and what a break on the hydro for the chute.

/ How to feel like a fool. #5  
Checking my TP connects now... :p

/ How to feel like a fool. #6  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Paul,
Well glad you got it all figured out ! ;) I wouldnt feel too bad about that, Ive done a lot dumber stuff than that which Id rather not discuss! :)

Lucky for you........ what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas !!