How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement?

/ How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement? #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
My Peruzzo ditch and bank mower (5 years old) has failed bearings on the output shaft of the gearbox:
mower-gearbox-2.jpg

I've ordered a replacement gearbox, and am making progress getting it torn down. But I'm currently having trouble getting the PTO shaft off. I don't actually know what the connection of the shaft to the gearbox is. I've removed the nut on the bolt on the hub, but can't figure out how it comes off:
mower-PTO-shaft-connector.jpg

Does the bolt have to come out first? I tried gently tapping it out and it doesn't seem to move.

Also, I can't figure out how the guard comes off. I'm not sure I need to, but it seems like it would be helpful.

I've removed the silver ring, and it looks like the black part should slide off the yellow part, but I can't get it to move:
mower-PTO-cover.jpg

Any suggestions about how to get this apart would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPEG
    IMG_1564.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
   / How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement? #3  
They are many variations on the guards but they do eventually unsnap and come apart. You tube has several videos of different guards being removed.

/ How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement? #4  
If it's not a spring loaded pin holding the u-joint to the shaft but a bolt, I would turn the head side to where I could get an impact or a drill on it and see if I could get the bolt to start moving by backing it out if not I would drive it out with a smaller bolt or a punch.

/ How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement?
Pull the bolt out and then slide the shaft out.
I banged on it a couple of times and it didn't seem to move. I guess I need to get more serious about it. Thanks.

They are many variations on the guards but they do eventually unsnap and come apart. You tube has several videos of different guards being removed.
Thanks. I found one that seems to show how it comes apart. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

If it's not a spring loaded pin holding the u-joint to the shaft but a bolt, I would turn the head side to where I could get an impact or a drill on it and see if I could get the bolt to start moving by backing it out if not I would drive it out with a smaller bolt or a punch.
The nut was fairly tight on the bolt, so I don't think it is spring loaded. The head of the bolt is strange. It's round, no bigger than the diameter of the bolt if that, with two flats cut on opposite sides, so it won't take a socket. I'll try a wrench on it to see if it will turn.

/ How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement? #8  
The nut was fairly tight on the bolt, so I don't think it is spring loaded. The head of the bolt is strange. It's round, no bigger than the diameter of the bolt if that, with two flats cut on opposite sides, so it won't take a socket. I'll try a wrench on it to see if it will turn.
Sure sounds like a spring loaded pin that has frozen up or has seized up.

/ How to Get PTO Shaft Off Implement? #10  
Put nut back on threads and run down until flush with threads. Get a rod and an impact implement (Hammer), and seriously try to move it. Sounds like a wedge lock situation. Has to be driven out from thread end. If you get movement, spray with oily stuff and tap to and fro and keep spraying and you should be free.