How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator)

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
I have just about finished building a Plasma duplicator table for my plasma cutter and am looking for something to adhere a template piece to the steel table surface. I have tried double sided tape and Velcro without success. I do have some double sided upholstery tape ordered to try. Any suggestions appreciated. Ken Sweet

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #2  
Hot melt glue?

Could also try the gray 3M double stick tape used to adhere automotive trim/decals/etc, but use it sparingly since it's strong stuff. Can cut it off with fishing line or dental floss worked between the surfaces.

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #4  
Magnets?

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #6  
Never used a pantograph. But first thing that occurs to me is drill a hole in the middle of the template and a small threaded hole in middle of the table. Then screw the template down.

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #7  
3m spray adhesive...

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #8  
Use rare earth magnets. Drill several holes in the template that are the same diameter as the magnets, if you need to hold it down as well as keeping it from moving laterally, place steel washers on top of the magnets.

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #9  
FYI - I'm pretty sure ALL magnets will lose their magnetic properties when heated - google "curie temperature" if you're curious... Steve

/ How to hold a Template when using a Pantagraph (duplicator) #10  
The magnets won't be affected by heat as Ken is using them for his template on pantograph table, not near the torch.

If the template is non ferrous then the adhesive solutions should work or a hole in the center with a small bolt and nut.

Edit. Oops. Downsizing mentioned this already. Guess that's where I got my brainstorm :)

Last edited: