how to retain pump on pto shaft

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I am using a pump (hydraulic) that mounts directly on the pto shaft. It has no way to lock onto the shaft nor do I see any sets screw to lock it on the shaft.

Looking for suggestions on how to keep the pump fully on the shaft when being used. Have to make a mount to prevent the pump from rotating and may be able to design same mount to keep it from coming off the shaft.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #2  
I use one of these all the time. I use a short angle iron bolted to the pump and a short chain from the angle iron to the drawbar to keep the pump from rotating. A tarp strap keeps the pump on the pto shaft. I've done it like this for years but you have me thinking that it might be easier to slide the pump into place if I welded up a bracket that fit onto the drawbar. I could lift the whole works onto the drawbar and then slide it onto the PTO. A hitch pin would then be enough to keep the pump on and keep it from rotating. I will look into this close next summer as I'm lifting the pump into place in a very confined spot and changing the way I do it might make things easier.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #3  
I have a pto pump. Surplus center sold a straight bar 1/4" by 3/4" bar that bolted to pump and extended up into tractor area with a small chain to retain. I made mine . I know the return line is stiff and almost does it. The bar is just like a long handle that is pinned to some hole on your tractor. I have no pictures but could provide if needed.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft
Thank each of you and I very much understand each of you. The rotation while a major issue is not what I want to be sure on but the keeping the pump on the shaft while it is running.

I was thinking about also making mine mount (very simple to prevent the rotation) and then chaing it forward on the tractor such as was mention with the bungee. As has been pointed out on my application it will also be tight and stiff heavy hoses.

Thank both of you.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #5  
Just to add, my "arm" for rotation was pinned with one link of chain to a hole in a part of the tractor so it could only move less than one inch in any direction. My PTO shaft extended thru my pump by about 1/2" so it was going to stay in place. I had more trouble with the hose routing than anything else.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #6  
I would also mention, if you are talking about a large pump such as 20gpm, etc., the bar bolted to the pump housing is to stop the pump from rotating. With a large pump considerable rotational force is applied. I wouldn't rely on the hoses to stop rotation.

I used a 22gpm pto pump to power a 3pt woodsplitter I made. I bolted a metal strap to the pump housing that extended down past the fixed drawbar to limit rotation. Welded a horizontal tab to that strap with a hole in it that aligned with a hole in the fixed drawbar. Then used a latching pin to connect the two. Could install or remove the pump without tools.

Dug thru my pics but couldn't find one of it. Sorry.

I think each of you have brought some very good thoughts here on this. Overszd what I think you made was basically an "L" bolted to the pump and pinned to the drawbar, is that correct? If so that is so simple a design. That could even be made to support weight if need by by making a square "U", not sure any bolt holes on both sides of pump though. Running right at same size gpm pump as you are. Just wondering on your log splitter how massive it must be. I am running a 4 foot fail mower. One question since you are running same gpm pump, what size metal is your stop made from?

I did not see where anyone of you use a spring to retain the pump from turning but looks like you are all using a firm stop with a bolt or pin in I think two. Do you see any need for a spring there to help with shock? I would think if you do not engage the pto at high rpm there should not be any problem with shock.

Again thank each of you.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #8  
Yep, that's exactly how it was built. I used 1/4x2" flat iron. My pump had threaded holes on both sides of the pump. If facing the rear of the tractor looking at the pump my strap was on the right side. This would cause the strap to be pushed toward the fixed drawbar under stress. If my bolt fell out for any reason my pump would still be prevented from twisting. My splitter was rated at 42 Ton using the mathematical formula of hydraulic pressure/cylinder size.

There was never any shock on my pump so never worried about softening the mount.

Post pics when you figure out a solution.

Will do.

/ how to retain pump on pto shaft #10  
Here is what I have on my backhoe pump to keep it from rotating, it won't help you much for keeping it on the shaft , mine has the spring retainer to do that.

Attachments

• image-3398449868.jpg
    image-3398449868.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 243