How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas?

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
I've done a lot of research on portable shelters and the general consensus is that a permanent shelter such as a pole building is a much more sensible choice especially in heavy snow load areas.

I just don't have the time nor finances this year to build a structure like that but really need a shelter to store a few implements mainly the backhoe for my JD 4310. I was thinking about getting a shelter logic quanset hut style shelter from Menards.

We get quite a bit of snowfall. Average 170" inches a year (last year was 265"). I was thinking about getting a 12'x 20 shelter. Putting the back hoe and under implements under it and coating the whole plastic cover with a heavy silicone spray like armor all or some other tire shine to help the snow slide off it. The place where I want to put it also receives a fair amount of wind so I'm hoping that will help keep the snow load to a minimum.

Most of the shelters I have seen people use locally were the bottom dollar low end shelters that were gambrel style and they were lucky to last a season but there are some huge shelters of the quanset type locally that are greenhouses and barns and they never seem to have an issue.

I know they make some that are snow load rated but for the price they want for one I can build a pole structure for the same cost.

Any advice, tips or experience would be greatly appreciated.

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #2  
How about purchasing a 20' shipping container?

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #3  
Or a carport and add tin to the sides and back?

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #4  
I would let all of my friends and neighbors know that I was searching for building materials or a building to tear down. From disassembling a steel roofed shed I was able to build a 30X16 pole shed for no cost. I even reused the nails. Like any other building, it is now too small.

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #5  
I have had a 12 by 20 shelter logic for 3 winters..It has worked for me although I dont let snow accumulate wore than 4 inches, It only takes 20 minutes to pull the snow off with a snow rake. The new rounded top units might work better .I live straight east of you in Ontario.
A shipping container is a great idea but it cost 4 times more,

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #6  
I wouldn't put up a low cost temporary shelter, unless I planned on regularly clearing the snow/ice off it. My sister had one collapse - put some serious dents in her car. Much worse happens, a few winters back, a woman (Canadian olympic athlete) was killed in Quebec when the one she was cleaning off collapsed - happens fast, and even with other people around, she was dead by the time they dug her out.

Some points here:

https://www.caaquebec.com/nc/en/at-home/advice/tips-and-tricks/tips-and-tricks/show/sujet/keys-to-a-long-lasting-car-shelter-quality-materials-careful-handling/

Rgds, D.

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas?
A shipping container does sound like a good idea but I don't think I would have the clearance needed to back the tractor with the backhoe on it to get it in. I haven't really looked too much into the permanent building structure yet because where I would eventually want to build I would need a variance due to setback from property line issues.

Portable structures have no zoning restrictions or permits needed for my twp. so it gives me a quick shelter to get up before snow flies.

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas?
I know they are kind of a crap shoot as to whether they will hold or not a snow load. The stuff I plan to put under it most likely wouldn't get damaged if it collapsed. Biggest thing for me is the JD backhoe. Right now I have the whole implement wrapped in a tarp but I don't like how condensation sits under the tarp and its such a bulky implement it just takes up way too much space in the garage.

When these things fail is it usually the metal framing or the fabric giving way?
If its the metal framing once everything is inside I could reenforce with some lumber to make it stronger.

/ How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #9  
I had 2 shelter logic 10x20 auto shelter structures. I built them end to end so it was 40' long. I too live in snow country. The problem I have is that I work and am away from the house 9 hours a day. The first winter we had 16" of snow on one day. 12 of those inches fell while I was at work. When I got home I found both of mine collapsed from the weight of snowfall. I wasted my money buying the 2 I did because I could not be there to clean them off. I've attached a pic of the type I had.

Attachments

• detail_2244_62680_001.jpg
    detail_2244_62680_001.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,289
   / How well do shelter logic hold up in heavy snow areas? #10  
I know they are kind of a crap shoot as to whether they will hold or not a snow load.

I have three of these shelter logic enclosures. I don't have any snow accumulate on the top, but it does pile up along the sides as it slides off. I've seen the ones with flat tops collapse from snow, but we've never had any accumulation on our round tops. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, so we get about 30-40" a year here. My neighbor has five of them, he uses them for hay storage. We used to use ours for hay, now I keep the manure spreader, mower and other equipment in one and junk in the other two. We did have the top rip open on one of them, the company sent us a new cover for free because it was less than a year old. They said the UV protection hadn't been put on properly so the sun degraded it. So I'd say they'd work fine for your application.