HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use?

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #1  

Soldier415

Platinum Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota L3010GST. 2005 Kubota L3430HSTC
2005 Kubota L3430HSTC

Checked trans/kydro fluid last week and it showed being low so filled until it registered midway between min and max marks on the dipstick.

Checked it again today and it shows about 4 inches above full on the dipstick.

Blew snow with the blower Friday and Saturday without issue, have 8+ inches coming tomorrow and then the tractor is going to the dealer for the 800 hour service on Weds.

Am I safe to use it or am I risking something catastrophic?

Don't know why it showed really low and now is overfull. I always check level when engine is cold.

Last edited:
   / HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #2  
Low tire? Uneven ground? Doesn’t make sense that you’d have such a large swing in volume.

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #3  
did you have the bucket on the ground when you added oil?

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use?
   / HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #5  
maybe the oil you added was cold and did not register on the dip stick right away

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #6  
That's really odd the level would change that much. All you can do is draw the excess out till it hits the full mark. Remember, the position of your loader makes a difference in the level. If the pistons are all the way out...there is fluid in the cylinders therefore the level would read lower on the dipstick. Vice versa if the cylinders are drawn in. I always measure mine with the bucket down and flat on the ground. Let us know what you find.

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use?
Not going to drain any as its going to clear snow tomorrow then go for 800 hour service weds.

Just trying to find out if its safe to use tomorrow

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #8  
Maybe I missed it, but how much did you add the other day? A pint, quart, or 2 quarts?

On mine, I can use a turkey baster to bulb out, suck out a few ounces. No big deal. It doesn't take a whole lot of fluid to make my Kubota register low or high. I'm not sure why it is so dang touchy that way, but it is. I've learned to just an ounce or two at any given time. Kinda goofy it's that touchy, but one lives with it.

Last edited:
   / HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #9  
As long as it is not coming out the breather tube it will not be a problem, just make sure it does not go too low and start sucking air.

David

/ HST Tractor, Transmission fluid 4 inches above full line on dipstick. Safe for use? #10  
Kubota once had a fix for the PTO noise on the L3400HST that filled the hydraulic fluid to the very top. So Being over full should be OK.