Hummingbirds, We got 'em!

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
We have been feeding HB since we moved out here on the place, about 5 years. 3 feeders have usually been plenty for the few that we have had yearly. This year has been a "whole new ball game", they have shown up in droves!! We have had to buy 3 more feeders and probably need a few more. We probably have 20+ (hard to tell). We haven't seen this much HB activity since we lived in the Colorado Rockies!!

We also found a feeder that is just awesome from every standpoint and the HB take to them in less than 30 minutes. We have tried probably 10 different mode;s/brands and the ones we have been buying, seem to be well accepted and even preferred. This is the one we are buying from now on, just wish I could find them for cheaper.
Amazon.com: Aspects 429 Hummzinger Highview Feeder: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Most of our HB look to be Ruby throat-ed, but early in the season, we had 2 different kind. I guess they where headed north to some of you folks. Anyway, it is a fun hobby and relaxing spending time in the yard with them and a treat when one follows you around.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #2  
We got em here too, seems like almost year round. When I'm outside working, I can here them zipping by almost constantly. We have one feeder that we maintain and can see out the kitchen window, but I like the looks of that one Dennis, as they can't hide behind it while drinking. They're fun to watch for sure.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #3  
I usually get 3-4 pairs that hang around for three months or so. I don't expect to see them for at least another month or more.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em!
Carl, the neat thing about the zinger, is you can watch the HB tough getting the "brew" and talk about east to clean!! Makes it fun again:laughing: Top just pops off, wipe it out and re-fill. (we sterilize once a week in the warm months)

I dont know why the huge increase in numbers this year, pretty amazing to sit out on the deck with a coffee and just wath them, like a HB "aquarium":D

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #5  
Carl, the neat thing about the zinger, is you can watch the HB tough getting the "brew" and talk about east to clean!! Makes it fun again:laughing: Top just pops off, wipe it out and re-fill. (we sterilize once a week in the warm months)

I dont know why the huge increase in numbers this year, pretty amazing to sit out on the deck with a coffee and just wath them, like a HB "aquarium":D

Ah yes, the cleaning thing. I'm glad you mentioned that for others sake. We didn't know until the HB's would refuse our feeder that you needed to clean, and sterilize every few days. Makes a big difference. We learned that once you let a feeder go bad, they will mark it as a "bad flower" location, and not come back. We removed feeder for a few weeks, then put up new ones (one on front porch, and one in the back), and they seem to be used constantly. They, like a lot of animals sense movement. I can stand still a few feet away and they'll just happily do their thing, but as soon as I move, they take off. We've seen as many as 5-6 different color throats here. We also plant HB friendly "real" flowers around the place, like Honey suckle vines etc.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #6  
I think our HBs decided to hang out in Wise County this year. Our experience is just opposite of yours - 20 or so last year and 'maybe' 5 this year! We love to watch them - so take good care of them. Perhaps next year will be our year.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #7  
first ones showed up here (N.E.GA) a couple weeks ago...usually we get a wave of them that move on before the ones that stay the summer show up...

Carl, Clean is paramount! They can get sick easily from tainted Juice. They eat bugs and pollen for protein and vitamins, but the juice gives them great carbs and energy (like they need allot!)

Gem99, we'll do the best we can, may have to send you a bill for "Child Support"!:D

We have planted a few perennials to encourage them, should have a good stand this summer (fingers crossed) Found they like Lantana and Salvia ALLOT. They also seem to like several types of Lavender that we have, small flowers, but they sure go to them.

/ Hummingbirds, We got 'em! #9  
Carl, Clean is paramount! They can get sick easily from tainted Juice. They eat bugs and pollen for protein and vitamins, but the juice gives them great carbs and energy (like they need allot!)

Gem99, we'll do the best we can, may have to send you a bill for "Child Support"!:D

We have planted a few perennials to encourage them, should have a good stand this summer (fingers crossed) Found they like Lantana and Salvia ALLOT. They also seem to like several types of Lavender that we have, small flowers, but they sure go to them.

I have had one pair here every summer, raise one chick and leave

One year though the migration stopped by. Put up feeders everywhere and the battles were on! One couldn't step outside in anything even remotely "flowery" without being attacked. Fun!!

I didn't know about the sterilization. What is the method?

Harry K

We use a "light" solution of bleach every other week and rinse WELL. If you smell bleach, rinse some more.

When we fill, we use water that we have just brought to a boil/bubble in a pan, dip the feeder in it, or was it for about 30 seconds wipe out and rinse. Sounds like a PITA, but it isnt bad. HB's will get to know who fills the feeder, so we tend to try to do most of it in the yard (except bleach). In the Summer we may change the juice every other day, so if they are feeding slow, we only fill half way.

We use 1 part sugar to 4 parts water as recommended buy the HB sites. No dye

Good reads:
hummingbirds.net
Hummingbird Migration Maps

HB Society:
Home