Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Hello to All,
My old barn/shop metal roof is getting more rust at time marches on.
It has not rusted through, and is still pretty sound but ?for how long?

Please give me your thoughts on which coating material to consider.

EPDM, poly, liquid rubber, etc.

Thank you. Norris

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #2  
If it can still be coated, ie no perforations the one of the best materials would be aluminum roof coating, we use it all the time, not the Home depot brand but a good brand like Bull Dog or Karnack, about $75. a 5 gal pail, mop it on with a 3-4 knot brush.
Good luck,

Attachments

• P7249345.JPG
    P7249345.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 313
  • P7249328.JPG
    P7249328.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 193
  • P7249351.JPG
    P7249351.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 181
  • P7129226.JPG
    P7129226.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 437
   / Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #3  
Reminds me of a project years ago. A friend had picked up a 50x100 steel barn for cheap and re-erected it on his property. The roof tin had a lot of surface rust so he enlisted a bunch of friends to wire brush it and coat it with the aluminum coating.

It was not a fun job at all. Having moved on and lost contact, I have no idea how long the coating held up. I would think that the rust would remain active even with the coating and continue to deteriorate the metal.

I dunno', would it be more cost effective long term to go with new tin?

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #4  
If it can still be coated, ie no perforations the one of the best materials would be aluminum roof coating, we use it all the time, not the Home depot brand but a good brand like Bull Dog or Karnack, about $75. a 5 gal pail, mop it on with a 3-4 knot brush.
Good luck,
They use an alm. coating on mobile home roofs called Kool Seal.

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #5  
They use an alm. coating on mobile home roofs called Kool Seal.

Yep, I've had more experience than I wanted with Kool Seal, but it's primarily for sealing seams and cracks, not for a complete coating (unless there's been some major changes in recent years). And while I don't remember the name of the stuff, there are much better products on the market than Kool Seal.

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #6  
start with "rust converter" as your primer, then paint with whatever you want.

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #7  
Good luck,

JB-

Will this Bull Dog coating seal the metal roof where nails are fastening it down on my pole barn?? It was constucted several years ago and the rubber washers are all but gone and it is showing small rust areas. Would this product be ideal for coating the whole roof or is there a better product??

John

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #8  
I used a cheap silver colored Walmart(if I remember correctly) fibered mobil home roof coating on an old building several years ago. The coating worked OK, but the building got pretty rough after a windstorm a couple of years ago. I dozed out a big hole last spring a pushed the building off in it and burned it. That roof coating and the old masonite siding burned like they were made of diesel fuel:eek:. You might want to check the flamibilty of anything you get.

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP #9  
Check with a professional paint store. There are much better materials then Kool Seal. There is at least one that give a white flexible coating.

/ Hurry! Metal roof coatings HELP
Many thanks to all of you. I'll let you know what we decide.....after we decide.
My oldest son had a poster in his room years ago the said;

"Not to decide, is to decide" :confused::):D