Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas!

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I've started processing firewood yesterday for this season and I was splitting some beetle-killed pine. All of a sudden, the engine just stopped mid-stroke. I noticed what looked like smoke coming from the exhaust, never seen that before.

First thing I thought of was to check the oil since I believe it has a low engine oil shutoff. Nope, not had oil, but the crankcase was totally full! I can't smell (even gasoline) so I *assume* it's gas and somehow it got from the fuel tank to the crankcase. I was able to restart it only long enough to retract the cylinder, then immediately shut it down.

If so, what's the fix? Is this an engine rebuild or just a carb rebuild? Any tips and tricks for fixing this and, more important, prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #2  
Fix is to rebuild the carb. Prevention is to run it more often.

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #3  
Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas!

How does a bad carb fill the crank with oil?
That is, how does it stay running long enough to do that?
I thought you get gas in oil by blow by, from loose or worn rings, that you can test by measuring engine compression?

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #4  
Sounds like the float valve is sticking open...with an open intake valve the gas will siphon into the crank...

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #5  
while you're at it, adjust the valves. the b&s on my huskee was badly in need of it. .005" exh/in warm is what mine called for. sometimes the engine would kick back & yank the cord from my hands...a simple valve adj. cured that. starts on 1st chrank
going to do the same on my 2 kawi's. it's something that's easily overlooked.
& just burn ethanol free by all means good luck

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #6  
Does it have an inline fuel filter or screen?

May have a piece of debris stuck between the needle /seat.
Or if it has been parked and had 10 % ethanol fuel left in it may have corroded everything in the carb.

Fuel can Easily fill a crankcase
even on a brand new engine when the needle/ seat are leaking...

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #7  
Drain, put fresh out in, rebuild carb, and give it a whirl.

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas!
while you're at it, adjust the valves. the b&s on my huskee was badly in need of it. .005" exh/in warm is what mine called for. sometimes the engine would kick back & yank the cord from my hands...a simple valve adj. cured that. starts on 1st chrank
going to do the same on my 2 kawi's. it's something that's easily overlooked.
& just burn ethanol free by all means good luck

How do you do that?

I use E-free gas for my small engines, including my log splitter. Having said that, the last time I used it (last season) I neglected to run it dry like I usually do at the end of each year. Despite this, it started with one pull of the cord, so there's that.

Although I bought it used, it was virtually brand new. Now it's about 4 years old and time for some maintenance. Thankfully, one of the reasons for using it yesterday was to warm the oil so I could change it.

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas!
Does it have an inline fuel filter or screen?

May have a piece of debris stuck between the needle /seat.
Or if it has been parked and had 10 % ethanol fuel left in it may have corroded everything in the carb.

Fuel can Easily fill a crankcase
even on a brand new engine when the needle/ seat are leaking...

Yes. I'll be replacing it along with all the gas lines with E-rated SAE30R9 Fuel Injection Hose and the rubber primer bulb. I'll also be adding a fuel shutoff valve as suggested.

I have the carb off now. Tomorrow, I'll take it to my local small engine repair place and see if they have a rebuild kit.

Thanks for all the help!

/ Huskee log splitter B&S engine crankcase full of gas! #10  
I'll tell you this...
My in-laws had a husky log splittter with a 5hp briggs for about 30 years. The crank seal went. I replaced it. The carb got gunned up. I cleaned it. The pull starter broke. I replaced it. It started smoking.... I found an EXACT replacement 6.5HP Predator engine at Harbor Frieght for $99 on sale. $99!!!. Brand new. EXACT replacement. It took me longer to drive to Harbor Frieght and back than it did to replace the engine.

Works GREAT! Very happy. $99. :thumbsup: