Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter #1  

Grrrr

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere!
We have had one of these for about 5 years. It cuts great and nothing can stop it.

However, it has always been a PITA to start. Use to be just lots of pulls. It has no fuel prime.

More recently, the only way of starting it up at all was to use some Easy Start Aerosol. Once started the first time, it runs great and starts easily for that day.

I have replaced the spark plug and adjusted and readjusted the carburettor.

Nothing seems to make this weedeater start anymore :mad:

Some times it will run fine for a couple of hours and then die and refuse to start. A while later, and some easy start, it runs fine again.

Any ideas would be appreaciated :)

This is it's manual

Husqvarna 225R

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter #2  
I'd check the choke to see if it is working right. I just brought one home as I'd sold the Stihl that I was using to a friend. It was a little harder to start and keep running but most stihl and husky products should start on the third pull when right. Two pulls with the choke on and it should have fired, third pull and it should be running. The one I had was a little cold blooded and stalled requiring a forth pull after it started.

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter
The choke is strange on this strimmer. You have to keep it on and it will start with it on. Once it starts I go to pull the throttle and the choke clicks off and she runs fine. Just won't start without the Easy Start and sometimes decides it has had enough :mad:

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter #4  
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? If not, worth a shot - just fish it out of the gas tank with a stiff wire, yank it off, and put a new one on. It sometimes helps to clean them, but they're pretty cheap and new ones are best...

The other thought that comes to mind is grit in the carb - probably in the float bowl (which on those things is about the size of a thimble). The other thing that can happen is that the "fuel pump", which is a tiny little bladder in the carb, can go south on you, but that usually results in lack of power, not hard starting.

FWIIW, a new carb will run you about $50 - $80, depending on if you go with OEM or not. That weedeater is worth the time and trouble to fix, for sure!

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter
chrisjbell said:
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? If not, worth a shot - just fish it out of the gas tank with a stiff wire, yank it off, and put a new one on. It sometimes helps to clean them, but they're pretty cheap and new ones are best...

The other thought that comes to mind is grit in the carb - probably in the float bowl (which on those things is about the size of a thimble). The other thing that can happen is that the "fuel pump", which is a tiny little bladder in the carb, can go south on you, but that usually results in lack of power, not hard starting.

FWIIW, a new carb will run you about $50 - $80, depending on if you go with OEM or not. That weedeater is worth the time and trouble to fix, for sure!

I will have a look at the fuel filter.

I am definitely not going to be getting rid of this weed eater. Back when it was new, we paid about £450 ($900)

It was a pro machine :D

/ Husqvarna 225R Brushcutter #6  
I have 1 line trimmer huskys and 1 brush cutter husky and all are a beech to start. Not to worry because when you get them going they are a force to be reckoned with. Get used to the excessive pulls if you stick w/Husqvarna. BTW, I've tried every fix in the world available to be and nothing shortened my number of pulls.