HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Like most of us I have some painting projects around. Doors, door frames, picture frames etc. Nothing big like the side of a barn although painting walls in the house is a possibility.

I've been looking at the Wagner HVLP sprayers that are self contained and plug into AC. They have a built in turbine to push air through the nozzle and apply the paint. They hold perhaps a quart of paint more or less.

Has anyone used on of these recent models? Was it easy to clean? Easy to adjust flow and width of spray?

Years back my BiL had a Wagner with the vibrator pump and while it worked well for him spraying stain, it did not work well with the acrylic paint I tried it with. The paint would actually gum up the pump requiring disassembly and cleaning after about 10 minutes.

I can always buy and return if it's a POS, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Thanks.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #2  
I asked a painter/friend that same question years ago. He didn't say they were good or bad, but he did say that just the tips for his sprayer were about the same price as the entire wagner sprayer.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #3  
There is a need to dilute or thin paint used to consistency of milk. It's a tricky process... latex cut with water, other bases require paint thinner or acetone. I've seen some youtube help on this. Successful painting depends a lot on the paint and it's viscosity. Gauging the viscosity is done with a drip tool. I'd be interested in seeing a way to do this better.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun
Most of the Amazon reviews are fairly good with the occasional bad review. The Wagner blurb claims no thinning required with most paints, but I guess that depends on your definition of "most paints" I suppose.

I'll look for some Youtube videos.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #5  
I have a Flexio 890 and have never thinned the paint. I even sprayed primer that looked like a milkshake when I was trying to cover a dark color. Not the easiest to get clean, but hot water, soap, and a brush works really well.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #6  
I have done a lot of enamel painting over the years. The last ones I used were the gravity feed type air sprayers. Cheap ones on sale. Thinning tremclad takes away the shine, and these sprayers work with thick paint, until they get used a bit. Then I take them back to Princess Auto, claiming I can't buy filters for them, which is true.

I tried the airless Wagner system, but cleanup was just too messy.

I'm all a bit fed up with it, and lately, just use bonus Industrial Aerosol Cans of Tremclad or go use a friends airless system for bigger stuff.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #7  
Don't have personal experience with newer Wagner's but I was unimpressed year's ago. Noisy, vibration, and didn't push paint well unless over thinned in my mind. Hopefully they are much better now. Look forward to hearing others comments.

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun #8  
Don't have personal experience with newer Wagner's but I was unimpressed year's ago. Noisy, vibration, and didn't push paint well unless over thinned in my mind. Hopefully they are much better now. Look forward to hearing others comments.

Likewise I haven't used anything with Wagner name on it in years but it was all money down the drain. Maybe they are better but I know the nice lphv sprayers at the paint store are spendy so that's probably your answer. All depends on your idea of ok is I imagine. I have luck with cup guns in you have a large compressor for smaller jobs and even the high end ones that are serviceable are inexpensive

/ HVLP Portable Paint Spray Gun
Thanks for all the input. If I buy one I'll report back on my success or failure.