hyd cyl parts sourceing

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have decided to upgrade my wood splitter by adding a bigger rod into the cyl. The cyl currently is 5in bore and a 2in rod and I am wanting at least a 3in rod. Doing this to decrease return speed, as return load is minimal. Cyl uses a screw in barrel rod cap/gland. I need someplace I can buy just the cap and gland. I will probably also replace the piston seals while I have cyl apart, doesnt need it, but better to do it now than build the cyl and have to tear it apart later. There is nothing worng with the cyl as is, I just want to speed up the cycle times. I bought the cyl new at Northerntool and have already bored out the hose ports. I wll most likely have to add a dump valve once I replace the cyl rod. My problem is finding someone that sells just the cap and gland, so looking for a good parts source.

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing #2  
A 3” rod will increase your return speed making it return faster.

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing
A 3” rod will increase your return speed making it return faster.

Yep, thats the goal. I might even go to a 3.5 rod "If" I can find the right gland nut.

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing #4  
Unless you DIY you’ll need a machine/hyd shop to make the larger hyd rod, have them bore out the existing gland to the new rod size and recut the wiper and rod seal groove to fit. Easy Peezy

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing #5  
I have decided to upgrade my wood splitter by adding a bigger rod into the cyl. The cyl currently is 5in bore and a 2in rod and I am wanting at least a 3in rod. Doing this to decrease return speed, as return load is minimal. Cyl uses a screw in barrel rod cap/gland. I need someplace I can buy just the cap and gland. I will probably also replace the piston seals while I have cyl apart, doesnt need it, but better to do it now than build the cyl and have to tear it apart later. There is nothing worng with the cyl as is, I just want to speed up the cycle times. I bought the cyl new at Northerntool and have already bored out the hose ports. I wll most likely have to add a dump valve once I replace the cyl rod. My problem is finding someone that sells just the cap and gland, so looking for a good parts source.

Another approach which I have not fully thought through.....

Put a much smaller cylinder beside your large one and its only job is to return the big cylinder.

This is one example. A stoke of 36" ,1.5" diameter and $189.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312511_200312511

You could try it both ways. Return port pulling big cylinder back. If too fast or not strong enough, then use push port.

Dave M7040

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing
Unless you DIY you’ll need a machine/hyd shop to make the larger hyd rod, have them bore out the existing gland to the new rod size and recut the wiper and rod seal groove to fit. Easy Peezy

That was my first thoughts too. I talked to my machinist and he said he could do it, but that I could probably just buy the new cap cheaper than he could machine out the old one. Either way, I still have to buy the packing seals for the new rod. The rod is easy, just cut and rethread a new rod to accept the old piston. I am looking for actual pricing on buying one before I decide which way to go with this project.

/ hyd cyl parts sourceing #7  
That was my first thoughts too. I talked to my machinist and he said he could do it, but that I could probably just buy the new cap cheaper than he could machine out the old one. Either way, I still have to buy the packing seals for the new rod. The rod is easy, just cut and rethread a new rod to accept the old piston. I am looking for actual pricing on buying one before I decide which way to go with this project.

Of course if depends on what your gland looks like but don’t forget a new gland may not match the threads or porting on the cyl barrel, boring out an existing gland with new seal grooves is not a big job with the right grooving tools in the right cyl. Most times if I buy a premade gland it needs some machining to fit, or I just make a new one from scratch.