Oil & Fuel Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #41  
Millions of VW TDIs running around with 5w30. VW says none have ever failed due to oil problem.

VW diesel vs. Yanmar diesel

Classy performance sedans
VW diesel much higher RPMs at redline. odometer goes over 100mph.
VW diesel built to German tight tolerances per ISO/TUV standards.
VW deisel has a TDI, turbo and direct injection.
VW diesel is not towing a plow or working a PTO.

Ye old farm compact tractor, put-put-put
Yanmar diesel lower RPMs at redline. odometer goes to 15kph on average.
Yanmar diesel built to Japan tolerances per JIS/ISO standards.
Yanmar diesel has no turbo except for models over YM4300 and 1970 injectors.
Yanmar diesel is towing plows, tillers, backhoes, etc and works with a PTO.

I just can not say, use 5W30 across the board. It's more of a winter to mild warm temps only.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #42  
VW diesel vs. Yanmar diesel

Classy performance sedans
VW diesel much higher RPMs at redline. odometer goes over 100mph.
VW diesel built to German tight tolerances per ISO/TUV standards.
VW deisel has a TDI, turbo and direct injection.
VW diesel is not towing a plow or working a PTO.

Ye old farm compact tractor, put-put-put
Yanmar diesel lower RPMs at redline. odometer goes to 15kph on average.
Yanmar diesel built to Japan tolerances per JIS/ISO standards.
Yanmar diesel has no turbo except for models over YM4300 and 1970 injectors.
Yanmar diesel is towing plows, tillers, backhoes, etc and works with a PTO.

I just can not say, use 5W30 across the board. It's more of a winter to mild warm temps only.
Diesels are diesels. People just think that tractor engine work harder because they hear them. Car engines are so insulated for noise that you don't hear them. They're working just as hard.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #43  
Diesels are diesels. People just think that tractor engine work harder because they hear them. Car engines are so insulated for noise that you don't hear them. They're working just as hard.

In totally different ways in totally different applications. Wisdom is needed to understand the mechanical differences.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #44  
I'm still not getting an understanding if the modern big semis on the road are now using 5W30. Anybody know?

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #45  
I'm still not getting an understanding if the modern big semis on the road are now using 5W30. Anybody know?
We run 15w 40 in all the trucks and machines.....Brand new and old........

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #46  
Would save them some fuel, probably about 2%.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #47  
Would save them some fuel, probably about 2%.

Nah, the engine life would diminish by almost 50%. So you still can't figure that out yet? Tiny car with higher RPM curve vs. a tractor with a 2 or 3-cly or a semi with 8, 10, 12-cly. We've all given you hints. Go back and re-read the postings, maybe you will get a light-bulb glowing moment.

💡

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #48  
Nah, the engine life would diminish by almost 50%. So you still can't figure that out yet? Tiny car with higher RPM curve vs. a tractor with a 2 or 3-cly or a semi with 8, 10, 12-cly. We've all given you hints. Go back and re-read the postings, maybe you will get a light-bulb glowing moment.

💡
Don't think you know this. I know about the 2%.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #49  
Don't think you know this. I know about the 2%.

This has nothing to do with the 2%, please go back and re-evaluate. You are missing the mark completely.

Why can a diesel SUV or passenger car use 5W30 all year while other diesels can not? What is the HUGE difference that a person who either knows about engines or worked on them can tell you. Go back and examine the facts in my messages for clues. Right now your light bulb is off.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #50  
You cannot get a 2% reduction in fuel usage (sorta like the effect on cranking speed I looked at; probably the square root of viscosity) and get a 50% increase in wear. If more wear is there, the fuel economy credit won't be there.

Has there ever been a test of 30w vs. 40w in heavy diesel engines?

I measured this fuel economy credit on a 240D Benz with high mileage on it. Typically, it would be at around 3,000 rpm, much like a tractor engine at 540 PTO speed.