Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #1  

ssgp2

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 990, Case IH Farmall 40
Bucket cylinder on a NH 7309. The cylinder rod pack gland uses a lock wire which I got out by turning the packing gland and pulling the lock wire with no problem, but trying to reinstall the new lock wire has me baffled. There is no hole in the wire groove that would grab the wire and pull it around to reinstall it. Every video I have found either shows a hole or does not show how to install the lock wire. Lightly tapping with a hammer results in the wire bending before it goes in very far. Looking for expertise on installing the lock wire please.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #2  
Safety wire comes in different diameters. Is the new safety wire the same size as the old one?

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #3  
Look close, it’s probably filled with crud. The factory needs the hole like you. If not, drill one, but don’t go too deep….:poop:

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #4  
Yes, there should be a hole in the groove that the "hook" of the wire should set in. Once the hook is in place, you rotate the head until the end of the wire goes beyond the opening in the barrel.

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #5  
Is this a new packing gland or are you using the original? Was there a bent end on the original lock wire? Like Wdchyd I suspect hole is either filled with broken end of old wire or crud and possibly both.

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question
Safety wire comes in different diameters. Is the new safety wire the same size as the old one?
I didn't put a caliper to them, but they appear to be the same diameter

/ Hydraulic cylinder lock wire question #7  
Why do you need a new wire? I reuse them.