Hydraulic Fluid Disposal

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #1  

ChuckT

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1510D
Hydraulic Fluid Disposal

I need to drain & refill our tractor tranny. Can the old oil be added to the used oil tanks at AutoZone, etc.?

TIA
cvt

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #2  
Sure, if they'll take the quantity.

Also, in Florida the county dump should take it at no charge.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #3  
Jiffy lube or similar places will take it around here.
I always get some comment about how thin it is or that it looks to clean to be used oil, but that is beacuse they are use to engine oil .

The only thing they tell me they will refuse is oil that is mixed with gasoline in any quantity.

Fred

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #4  
I use it as bar & chain oil but that is alot of chainsawing for one fluid change. The auto parts stores take used oil as long as it is clean. I just bring it in the containers and leave it at the counter.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #5  
FYI:
My local Autozone will only take 5 gal/day. But they let me slide cause I'm in there all the time...

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #6  
since they get paid at least .05 cents a gallon for waste oil, it was real nice of them to allow you.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #7  
<font color="blue">since they get paid at least .05 cents a gallon for waste oil, it was real nice of them to allow you. </font>
They limit you because they do not have unlimited storage space, not because they have to pay to dispose of it.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #8  
<font color="blue"> (since they get paid at least .05 cents a gallon for waste oil, it was real nice of them to allow you.) </font>

A guy I know runs a self service boat yard. The yard provides a waste oil tank for the convenience of its customers. They do sell the waste oil, but the company that buys it dings them hard if some jerk dumps antifreeze or any other form or contaminant in there.

Since they can't watch everyone all the time, they frequently get dinged. If they had a real choice, they would get out of the waste oil business, but they can't because their customers depend on that tank being there.

My point -- Just because a business takes waste oil doesn't always mean they are making money from it. There are expenses involved, and it may even run at a loss. Some states require stores that sell oil to collect old oil. They have no choice.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #9  
I know a fellow that owns a auto repair shop. He takes in regular oil only. no synthetic. He uses the oil to run his heater for the garage. The model of burner he has will not burn synthetic. I used to take all my oil there, but now that I'm using syn, can't do that anymore.
Since he doesn't sell oil retail, I guess he can be particular.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Disposal #10  
<font color="blue"> My point -- Just because a business takes waste oil doesn't always mean they are making money from it. There are expenses involved, and it may even run at a loss. </font>
I agree.

My local Advanced Auto Parts (maybe this is true across all AAP stores) used to have their used oil tanks open all the time. Then they had to go to only having them open when the store was open. Finally, they had to keep them locked all the time. They also had to implement a sheet that lists the date and time, your name and what you dumped in the tank. They don't require to see id or test what you're dumping, but that's probably next.

People abused the service and they had to add more and more restrictions. I highly doubt they're making money on this. They're probably happy if they break even.